Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How to cut a new nut?

Thread: How to cut a new nut?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to cut a new nut?

Anyone have advice on how to cut a nut? I always use pre-cut Graph Tech models since I have the creativity of an ant with a crayola.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

My advice: don't. Unless you have the correct tools, files, guages etc. I tried to cut my own and "eyeball" it against the one I was replacing and my guitar sounded like crap. Intonation was all over the map and tuning was a bee-otch. Caved in and had a graphite nut professionally installed along with a proper setup and it sounds absolutely awesome now. Intonation is dead on all over the fretboard (or at least as close as one can reasonably get it on a budget axe). Didn't think a nut would make as big a difference, but it did.

My 0.02. Oh, and it was cheap too. $40 installed and set up. Why bother with anything else?

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    My advice: don't. Unless you have the correct tools, files, guages etc. I tried to cut my own and "eyeball" it against the one I was replacing and my guitar sounded like crap. Intonation was all over the map and tuning was a bee-otch. Caved in and had a graphite nut professionally installed along with a proper setup and it sounds absolutely awesome now. Intonation is dead on all over the fretboard (or at least as close as one can reasonably get it on a budget axe). Didn't think a nut would make as big a difference, but it did.

My 0.02. Oh, and it was cheap too. $40 installed and set up. Why bother with anything else?

Trev
    You would think someone would make pre-cut nuts for guitars made of various materials. Do I see a startup in my future? I wonder if there is a market for such an item. I realize most people would need to do a little adjusting, but the pre-cut Graphite ones do work wonders for me.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Well, here is a entire plate of pre-cut nuts!!!

All for you T-man

I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Well, here is a entire plate of pre-cut nuts!!!

All for you T-man

Ahhhh... you just made my day! I LOVE bad humor!