Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
The Midas Touch

Thread: The Midas Touch

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Midas Touch

Well, I found out where that slogan originated from. I went there the other day to get a quote on fixing my exhaust - price was $1,200. I told him the problem was in the front section only, but he insisted that the whole thing needed replaced.

I put the thing on ramps this morning, crawled underneath and I am going to be able to fix it for $50 and meet government requirements. It's probably about a 45 to 60 minute job to do it myself.

I told my wife $50 plus special tools. I'm thinking a Blackheart might get the job done or maybe a new semi hollowbody or it could be tougher than expected and I might need both.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I told my wife $50 plus special tools. I'm thinking a Blackheart might get the job done or maybe a new semi hollowbody or it could be tougher than expected and I might need both.
    ....and you'll still be w-a-a-a-y under $1200.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

By any chance did any of the parts at the Midas shop have the label "Gibson" on them?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Like only Gibsons are expensive :
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Like only Gibsons are expensive :
    Andy's right. The pipe was marked Gibson, but all the clamps, bolts, nuts were marked Gretsch, Ric, and Fender.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Should I have mentioned PRS? :
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I notice the new fender malmsteen beatup strat is $10500,and several fenders in the 4-5000 range
    I've never seen a gibson sig cost near that much.(I guess Gibson is just the fav to pick on) no biggie
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

I notice the new fender malmsteen beatup strat is $10500,and several fenders in the 4-5000 range
    I've never seen a gibson sig cost near that much.(I guess Gibson is just the fav to pick on) no biggie
    So we can say Gibson is a good buy and a discount compared to others.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at all the brands price wise,it seems like Gibson is more in the middle.they avg $900 to $3,500.
    Fenders go for upward of 4-5000 for a "relic" as well

there are several guitar/brands that >start< at 2500-3000
    (often copies of fenders and gibsons)

3000 is way out of my range but I can find oodles of guitars for that and much more, and they are not often Gibson by any means.

A les Paul takes nearly 500 steps to build and 85% are by hand.
    it's not a production foreign made instrument and they hold their value very well.
    so yes I consider them a good buy and you will always get a good chunk of your investment back, they still make a great guitar. If I sold mine today I would make 1,400-1,700 profit from the original purchase price.
    how can I bash that?

Post Thanks / Like

so yes I consider them a good buy and you will always get a good chunk of your investment back, they still make a great guitar. If I sold mine today I would make 1,400-1,700 profit from the original purchase price.
    how can I bash that?
    I want an ES335, no need to convince me.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

A les Paul takes nearly 500 steps to build and 85% are by hand.
    it's not a production foreign made instrument and they hold their value very well.
    how can I bash that?

Ummm... Did I offend? If so, I apologize. The comment was meant tongue in cheek anyway.
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

no offence taken , just talking guitars
    sorry for taking it off topic, I should be in the Gibson forum:

Post Thanks / Like

no offence taken , just talking guitars
    sorry for taking it off topic, I should be in the Gibson forum:
    It's not off topic, topic is GAS money.
    Mark