Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BD-2 Blues Driver

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BD-2 Blues Driver

After reading the thums up in the other thread I started doing some reading on this pedal and the only negative I was able to find was

"In a nutshell: good at low gain, real warm when I turn my bottom tone knob almost all the way down with some spring reverb. When the gain is high it sounds terrible. I'm sending it off to get modded. Pretty good on low gain."

and

"MOD THIS PEDAL!
    The bd-2 standard sounds pretty good, especially at low gain. But with a mod it sounds incredible. I did the monte allums h20 plus mod and am very happy with it. It really turned this pedal into my favorite overdrive pedal."

Just curious if anyone agrees or disagrees - also, does anyone have one that is modded?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got two. I just purchased a used, like-new one in the box to mod, but have not done so yet. My other one is about 10 years old now.

For some reason, they sound different. The older one is very harsh when the gain is all the way up. I have to leave the tone control at about 9 o'clock or it gets this nasty, shrill high end. With the gain on about 10 o'clock or so and the tone at 12 o'clock, it does a very nice jangly, "transparent overdrive" sound. When the gain is all the way down and the level is all the way up it does a great clean boost. But you have to mind the tone knob or it gets harsh.

The newish one sounds pretty good with the gain cranked. The tone knob doesn't sound nearly as harsh. I'm really tempted to use the older one as a clean boost and the newer one as an OD, and not mod it as I planned to do.

I would suggest trying out the BD-2, don't buy it sight unseen (or unheard?). And use your guitar(s) and amp(s) if possible.

Premier Guitar Magazine did a nice article on modding the BD-2.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    After reading the thums up in the other thread I started doing some reading on this pedal and the only negative I was able to find was

"In a nutshell: good at low gain, real warm when I turn my bottom tone knob almost all the way down with some spring reverb. When the gain is high it sounds terrible. I'm sending it off to get modded. Pretty good on low gain."

and

"MOD THIS PEDAL!
    The bd-2 standard sounds pretty good, especially at low gain. But with a mod it sounds incredible. I did the monte allums h20 plus mod and am very happy with it. It really turned this pedal into my favorite overdrive pedal."

Just curious if anyone agrees or disagrees - also, does anyone have one that is modded?
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

The one I had was like two different pedals. It gave a very natural and uncoloured overdrive (no mid-hump) which cleaned up wonderfully from the guitar up to about 1 o'clock on the gain. Into a Fender Vibrolux it was like turning up the amp from 4 to 7. Beyond that it turned into a messy, fizzy distortion, Think thin sounding Big Muff, not great. I couldn't use the tone control beyond 10 o'clock with a tele'. In defence of the pedal, I'd say the lower gain range is worth owning one for. I'd look elsewhere for higher gains. Lots of folks swear by them as a low to medium gain pedal and the $20 Monte Allums mod kit is very highly rated.

Oh, and it stacked really well with a Bad Monkey. Set BD-2 low for edgy rhythm tones and kick in the Monkey for mid boosted solos. Using it like this was not dissimilar to what I got from a Fulldrive 2 in FM mode using the boost for solos. This should work with any TS type pedal, Robert Keeley recommends using it this way.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I've kept mine stock. It sounds pretty good and like mark says it stacks really well. Mostly I use mine with the DVM Zonkin Screamer. Killer combo.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a BD-2 for 10-12 yrs that I used occasionally couple yrs ago I put H20 mod in it after that never played without it. This is one of the most missed piece of gear that was stolen. I do have a new one now just have not had the time to mod it yet.......I have said it here before this mod takes a good pedal and makes it a really great pedal.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a modded one and I like it a lot. I can get very nice bluesy tones from it.

I agree it sounds best with the gain lower, but modded it's definitely smoother when the gain is higher.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to have a look at this, it compares the stock BD-2 with the Robert Keeley modified version:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/GG-20...luesDriver.php

Might be worth checking the Digitech "Screamin' Blues" pedal as well, I've got one and it sounds very similar to the BD-2 at medium gain or lower, but sounds a lot better at maximum gain. It sounds like the Mesa patch on the G2.1U.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius
    You might want to have a look at this, it compares the stock BD-2 with the Robert Keeley modified version:

Might be worth checking the Digitech "Screamin' Blues" pedal as well, I've got one and it sounds very similar to the BD-2 at medium gain or lower, but sounds a lot better at maximum gain. It sounds like the Mesa patch on the G2.1U.

That Screamin Blues pedal is one I have gassed over for probably a year and half...never really made up my mind between that and the bad monkey...so to date still have not bought either. Should probably buy both of them after I pick up my VoX ad30 because until then I am ampless.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like it either stock or modded. I had the Keeley mod done, and both were too ice-picky for my ears. A matter of taste, I'm sure. YMMV.

I sold it and kept my Arion Tubulator, which was a lot warmer sounding.

Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius

zZound has B stock for $40 on the Digitech "Screamin' Blues".

A nice "on/off" demo

http://www.digitech.com/flash/ScreaminBluesDemo.php
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I also have to say that based on what I have heard of the BD-2, it seems to me you can get the clean drives that it does out of DVM's Rabid Rodent pedal, which has the three overdrive clipping modes, and the Ruetz switch, for 3 more overdrives. Plus you get the 3+3 Distortion modes. I think I would go this way if I wanted a Blues Driver. Maybe I am wrong, but I understand the BD-2 to give a clean drive and boost without all the mid range that a TS-9 clone/Bad Monkey gives. That is what I think about the overdrive settings of the Rabid Rodent. Gives some good, clean heat, without all the mid range in normal mode. I have not stacked it with the Bad Monkey yet. I will have to try that.

DVM, or Childbride, if you disagree with me or think I am mis-stating, please let me know, but I don't think so. :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

The BD-2 is my main overdrive, and has been for months now. I rarely have the gain over noon, unless I want some fuzz & fizz. I lik ethe fact that my Tele still sounds like a Tele, and that my dirty sound is just a dirty version of my clean sound.

The Screamin' Blues is pretty similar. I have on of those as well. Think I'll give that one a whirl next time I plug in...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been messing/adjusting the factory setting of the Blues Drive on my RP350. Running it through the laptop I am able to quickly tweak it and am finding some real sweet tones.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    That Screamin Blues pedal is one I have gassed over for probably a year and half...never really made up my mind between that and the bad monkey...so to date still have not bought either. Should probably buy both of them after I pick up my VoX ad30 because until then I am ampless.
    So guys, do you think it's worth buying the digitech sb or go for the tone driver? I love the sound from my badmonkey, good cheap pedal

Mike

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on your ears... you should really try both and decide for yourself. It is so subjective. For the record, I played the Blues Driver predominantly during my last gig, and it worked tremendously well.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both the BD-2. I used the BD-2 for years as my main pedal. I never turned on my rig without it. I used it a lower levels and it sounded great. Then I bought my Fulltone Fulldrive and OCD and I put the BD back in the box and I haven't used it since. I never modded it but it sounded good to me stock until I got the Fulltones.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I have both the BD-2. I used the BD-2 for years as my main pedal. I never turned on my rig without it. I used it a lower levels and it sounded great. Then I bought my Fulltone Fulldrive and OCD and I put the BD back in the box and I haven't used it since. I never modded it but it sounded good to me stock until I got the Fulltones.

Yeah that really seems to be the next step inpedals for me as well ("boo-tek", I mean). BUt to be honest: I'm in no hurry to spend the time or money yet. I think the BD-2 is that good.

For anyone considering the Screamin' Blues:

It might not be a bad (lower priced) alternative to the Blues Driver for you. The Bass & Treble knobs make the EQ more tweakable, but that's where I hit a wall. You see, it took me 2 seconds to dial in the BD-2 where I wanted it. It took just a a few minutes more to get cookin' with the Digitech pedal, but I have to admit it threw me a bit.

Please note with either pedal:
    Be open minded. It isn't gonna smooth things out like a Tube Screamer type overdrive. You're gonna keep more low end, and that low end is gonna distort in a really "loose" way. Higher Gain setting on the BD-2 are fuzz-like, but adjusting the Tone control can yield a usuable tone for some gonzo 60's-style leads. If you play rhythm beyond "chugga-chugga" barre chords, the Blues Driver will be your best friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Shame this doesnt include the Digitech SB, but this is a good site for comparing pedals
    http://www.oldtonezone.com/distortio...edal-shootout/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitartango
    Shame this doesnt include the Digitech SB, but this is a good site for comparing pedals
    http://www.oldtonezone.com/distortio...edal-shootout/

My BD-2 has never sounded like that "Full Gain" clip. Ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast