Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BD-2 Blues Driver

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitartango
    Shame this doesnt include the Digitech SB, but this is a good site for comparing pedals
    http://www.oldtonezone.com/distortio...edal-shootout/
    guitartango, nice site, thanks.

My BD-2 has never sounded like that "Full Gain" clip. Ever.
    Huck, personally I didn't think it sounded that good, but I am partial to clean and partial boost.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I have a modded one and I like it a lot. I can get very nice bluesy tones from it.

I agree it sounds best with the gain lower, but modded it's definitely smoother when the gain is higher.
    Robert, did you buy yours with the mod already done or did you do it? I am really thinking that this might be my first "real" pedal and was wondering if I would be happy with the stock version. I saw a test on youtube of the stock ver 2, 3, and 4 and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference and then I listened to a modified one and again at clean and partial gain, I didn't really hear that much of a difference. Since I prefer clean to partial gain, I don't really know if the mod would be necessary.

DVM, what do you have that would be comparable to the BD-2?
    Mark

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not played a stock one. I bought mine already modded by a guy called Steve Dudley. It's the same mods as Keeley plus one more mod I think. People say it is much less harsh on higher gain settings, and more smooth. I am very happy with it. It sounds really, really nice for bluesy tones. Even dirty country twang.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I have not played a stock one. I bought mine already modded by a guy called Steve Dudley. It's the same mods as Keeley plus one more mod I think. People say it is much less harsh on higher gain settings, and more smooth. I am very happy with it. It sounds really, really nice for bluesy tones. Even dirty country twang.
    Using the RP350 I find myself drawn to sounds/tones close to the BD-2, so I think that is definitely the best "first pedal". It seems to have the stamp of approval from a number of people here.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum

Huck, personally I didn't think it sounded that good, but I am partial to clean and partial boost.

It sounded terrible. Mine has never sounded like that on the Full Gain setting. It's fuzzy, yes, but that clip sounded damaged.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R.B. Huckleberry
    It sounded terrible. Mine has never sounded like that on the Full Gain setting. It's fuzzy, yes, but that clip sounded damaged.
    Good, I'm glad to hear that, it adds to the fact I am heading down the right path with this purchase.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree. That clip didn't sound anything like my BD-2 with the gain control full up. Not nearly enough gain.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

You will...instead of getting a cut in lows...have your lows distorted by the pedal. But man, that clip...

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is an interesting review together with links to 3 modders:
    http://lespaulplayerdoctor.wordpress...river-h20-mod/

I still love the BD-2 and I won't ever part with mine. It's killer for bluesy stuff or as a cleanish boost with some oomph.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely getting one. Right now I have to pay for my health insurance for the next two months (I get reimbursed) until my normal health insurance kicks in. That hits me for $1300 a month, so purchases will be few and really low dollar items (no $4 picks for me ).

I will buy it stock and see how I like it without the mod. Since I will be working on the Washburn this weekend, I should be able to master my welding, I mean soldering skills, to maybe take a stab at a pedal mod.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely getting one. Right now I have to pay for my health insurance for the next two months (I get reimbursed) until my normal health insurance kicks in. That hits me for $1300 a month, so purchases will be few and really low dollar items (no $4 picks for me ).

I will buy it stock and see how I like it without the mod. Since I will be working on the Washburn this weekend, I should be able to master my welding, I mean soldering skills, to maybe take a stab at a pedal mod.
    Personally, I'm gonna save up for a Kelley modded BD-2. I like the stock version too much to mess with mine, and I'd really like one of each.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'm gonna save up for a Kelley modded BD-2. I like the stock version too much to mess with mine, and I'd really like one of each.
    What's the cost for one of those?

Do you know what version BD-2 you have?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

What's the cost for one of those?

Do you know what version BD-2 you have?

Keeley modded BD-2 is $150.

I don't know what version I have (I'm assuming you are talking about spec revisions...?). I bought mine from Guitar Center in 2006(?...don't remember the year). It is 100% stock from Taiwan.

Post Thanks / Like

Keeley modded BD-2 is $150.

I don't know what version I have (I'm assuming you are talking about spec revisions...?). I bought mine from Guitar Center in 2006(?...don't remember the year). It is 100% stock from Taiwan.
    I think the stock units are up to ver 4. They are suppose to have improved with each rev. I would assume it's sort of like the Epi Valve Jr where they incorporated some sort of mods to make them sound better.

I think for my purpose, the stock should do the trick. From what I've been able to gather, the Keeley mod improves high gain setting more than anything else and high gain isn't what I am interested in.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Ah! Apparently I purchased my Blues Driver on 2-19-2007. I posted this on another forum on 2-20-2007:

"I finally got around to picking up a Blues Driver of my own yesterday. I have the week off, and the kids have stretches of time where they wanna do their own thing, so I needed a new toy (LOL!).
    My brief experiences of the past hold true: it's got more gain than a TubeScreamer or Super OverDrive, but less than a DS-1 Distortion. Really holds the middle ground between the two types.

No lack of low end in this Boss pedal it seems, though the higher frequencies have a "fuzz" around them. Almost a "sharpness" with a "rough edge" around it. Like a rusty scapel, if you can get a sonic impression from that image. I don't mind it personally: my idea of "distortion" has this characteristic, and in the BD-2 I'm having no trouble dialing it down under the "annoying" threshold.

There's a "looseness" to the grit this pedal has that sounds very organic & natural to me. A little amp being pushed into overdrive generally displays the same "I'm gonna blow up" quality. Just like the old blues-rock records in my stepdad's collection. No super-smooth overdrive sounds here, but you get a relatively smooth OD by turning the Tone knob more to the left.

Please note: the majority of my testing has been done with an American Series Telecaster and a G&L ASAT (as well as my stock, un-modded DRRI), so some of the "sharp" sound may be exacerbated by the bright character of these instruments. A brief noodling with my chambered, mahogany bodied Hamer yielded darker tones with a bite to them.
    The touch sensitivity of the BD-2 is staggering. Dig in, it distorts more. Hold back, and you can get a very slight edge of breakup tone...all without adjusting the controls on the pedal, or the knobs on your guitar. I've encountered many pedals...some very "highend"...with this feature, but the BD-2 is extremely sensitive to pick attack. So much so, that I went "Zuh?" immediately.

All in all, a great pedal stock. I dunno if I would get anything I'd be looking for by having it modded."

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Behringer Blues OD pedal that is supposed to be the reverse engineered model of the Blues Driver. I like it alot, tho I'm playing with MFX more than pedals these days.

I agree it's better for mild OD, I go to a DS-2 Turbo Distortion for the higher gain stuff.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12