Thread: Early Peavey Fury (angled super ferrite pup) bass?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Early Peavey Fury (angled super ferrite pup) bass?

Anybody have any experience with these?

Early-to-mid '80's, USA. Being Peavey, I'd expect they're bullet-proof. Have tried Googling but I keep getting all the later USA P-bass copies (also called "Fury") instead, or the later MIK imports (which were even further afield, with 2 rectangualr HB's, but still called "Fury"). So far as I can tell the angled super-ferrite pickup is the same as was on the earlier T-20 bass, so if anyone knows about those instead, lemme know.

There's one I can get in a local pawn for $150 USD or less.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with the angled pup one. I did have the p-bass version which I wish I never would have sold. I hear good things about those pickups. If the bass is anything like the p-bass version I'd say go for it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I had one of the older guitars with the super-ferrite pickups. They worked but I wasn't super excited by the response curve. I'd check to see if there are any aftermarket pickups that would fit it because most likely it's a well built instrument anyway.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Spud, was yours a guitar or bass? I know Peavey had "super ferrite" pups on both guitars and bases in the T-series and post-T-series (as this Fury) guitars and basses.

Other buds of mine with T-15 guitars (also w/super ferrites) have been pleased, comparing to P-90's. Am in dark re bass pups though. The angled design probably precludes anything but a custom rewind/rebuild though. The angled Peavey super ferrite bass pup had a "thumb rest" as part of the pickup cover/ring, and it's very idiosynchratic. I'll post a pic of the similar T20 to show what I mean presently.

Post Thanks / Like

I know there have been threads on those pups over at TalkBass. Might want to do a quick search over there.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I know there have been threads on those pups over at TalkBass. Might want to do a quick search over there.
    Yeah Googling got me a couple results there but nothing very definitive. Thanks.