Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't do vibrato!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I can't do vibrato!!!

I been trying to do this along time. I know I have to learn it and it is so important.I've read about how ta do it over n over but I guess I don't get it or I just can't. Actually I can do it kind of but I think it's the kind not to do I keep reading that sounds awful. It is awful though because I can hear!get mad then stop.

Sometimes I feel like I get it right but my finger touches another string n I hear that, I must be doing something wrong from the start.Do you just need to have very strong fingers or what?

I know you have to use your forearm like twisting and thats what I try.I just don't get it.

Ok so just asking I know you guys can help.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to give you any technical advice, but I can only tell you to do what worked for me - keep practicing and relax. Sometimes I found that the things that were giving me trouble are often the result of trying too hard. I don't mean that from a practicing too much standpoint, but more from a relaxation standpoint. We sometimes make learning to play more difficult through body tension.

Just my two cents.

Edit: BTW, the advice I gave above was actually given to me by the guy that posted right after me. Rocket has some simple advice that will help your playing for the remainder of your journey.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you may be trying too hard... it's very subtle. Practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Less is best in the vibrato department. Rocket's right it's subtle and likely "slower" than what you might think. If you watch BB King it looks llike his hand is shaking all over the place. In reality his fingertips are not moving all that much.

I would also suggest you focus on playing clean until you get the phrase, song, lick, etc. down pat. Then add in the vibrato
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

+1 what they said.....plus.....
    You may have better results using lighter strings and turning your volume up a bit. This will make it easier to hear when you're getting it right.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks like me!

Thanks, Rocket!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Great video Robert!
    I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

It must be an older clip, because it Suhr doesn't look recent.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

It was during his Tele phase.

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSong

Ok so just asking I know you guys can help.

[/COLOR]
    Another thing I would suggest you do is put on headphones while you are practicing this (not loud, don't blow out the eardrums). Using the earphones you will be able to tell how close you are getting to the technique.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Great video post, that broke it down pretty nice.
    It's got six strings, right? What more do you need to know?

Guitars: Breedlove passport D20, Ibanez SR400, Xaviere XV 820
    amps: Yamaha DG-60
    musical experience: drummer/ lead singer in punk outfit --> drummer/guitar/singer in psychedelic jam-band --> drums/bass/guitar/singer in folk band --> drummer/ lead vocals in experimental band http://www.myspace.com/adnascentia --> guitar/ lead vocals in indie band http://www.myspace.com/itsanoreaster

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Check out how Arlen Roth demos B.B. King's vibrato technique in this video (starting at around 0:53). He's pivoting his hand around where the big joint of his index finger rests against the edge of the fretboard -- his thumb isn't even touching the neck most of the time.

(I'm afraid I might not be able to do vibrato any more myself, what with all this analysis.)
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b
    Interesting. Check out how Arlen Roth demos B.B. King's vibrato technique in this video (starting at around 0:53). He's pivoting his hand around where the big joint of his index finger rests against the edge of the fretboard -- his thumb isn't even touching the neck most of the time.

(I'm afraid I might not be able to do vibrato any more myself, what with all this analysis.)
    That was incredibly tasty playing. That vibrato technique somehow makes more sense to me.

Thanks Ro3b
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I cannot really add anything but support. It took me a while too, and it just got better (I am not saying mine is any good per se) over time. Kinda like barre chords, you just keep doing it, and after a while it gets better. As one keeps playing with it, one forgets to be tense or try so hard, and progress just comes and the muscles, nerves, mind, etc. figures out what to do. Keep playing with it long enough to let your head get out of the way.

I also started listening to vibrato techniques that I liked so I had them in my mind/body to try and copy. Whether you like BB's, Clapton's or someone else, just listen and let it soak in.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I cannot really add anything but support. It took me a while too, and it just got better (I am not saying mine is any good per se) over time. Kinda like barre chords, you just keep doing it, and after a while it gets better. As one keeps playing with it, one forgets to be tense or try so hard, and progress just comes and the muscles, nerves, mind, etc. figures out what to do. Keep playing with it long enough to let your head get out of the way.

I also started listening to vibrato techniques that I liked so I had them in my mind/body to try and copy. Whether you like BB's, Clapton's or someone else, just listen and let it soak in.
    I think that folks misunderstand the head.

The brain is lazy but primed for new things.

If you constantly present it with some new stimuli it will pay attention to it. The brain wants to predict what needs to be done & move appropriate actions into abstraction so it can trigger the proper responses with the fewest clues:

A7 with a hammer on ....

But it cannot do this until it has enough experience so that it can trigger prewired responses. How does it gain this? By the patient analysis of repeated requests to solve a problem. Little by little the solution migrates to more abstract regions of the brain.

I think you have the right feeling, but it's not that your head was ever in the way. Your head did it's thing well enough so that it seems like it disappeared just like it seemed like it was in the way before. That's how heads have always worked. That's how you learned to walk, talk, read, use the internet etc...
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have lousy vibrato long time ago. A good friend of mine told me to improve it by putting pressure on your thumb against the back of the neck. I know this goes against all the Eric Clapton schools of free hand vibrato'ing (shaking the entire hand thing without any thumb brace). If you have a good solid pivot point start by over exaggerating your string bends real slow and purposefully. Make it sound out of tune on purpose. Bend up towards your head then let down. Do it over and over slowly then stop and forget about it. Go back later on and do it again. Eventually your brain will know what to do and you'll improve. Vibrato is a change in pitch usually the note played and the next half, full step up in pitch or more. The speed between pitch changes is what your brain will get accustomed to. Get that idea fixed in your mind and you'll get it.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

tot, I see what you are saying. I guess what I was trying to say is that it got better after I did it long enough for my muscle memory/brain/nerves/muscle connections to learn how to do it without my conscious thought. In your words, getting it to the point that it is prewired. Whether it is skiing, playing guitar, whatever, it is always better after my mind and body are used to doing it without my having to consciously think it through.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I'm not going to give you any technical advice, but I can only tell you to do what worked for me - keep practicing and relax. Sometimes I found that the things that were giving me trouble are often the result of trying too hard. I don't mean that from a practicing too much standpoint, but more from a relaxation standpoint. We sometimes make learning to play more difficult through body tension.

Just my two cents.

Edit: BTW, the advice I gave above was actually given to me by the guy that posted right after me. Rocket has some simple advice that will help your playing for the remainder of your journey.
    +1 Strum. Practice over time will bring it all together. Mike
    Love the Blues? bluesrepublic.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast