Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can't do vibrato!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    tot, I see what you are saying. I guess what I was trying to say is that it got better after I did it long enough for my muscle memory/brain/nerves/muscle connections to learn how to do it without my conscious thought. In your words, getting it to the point that it is prewired. Whether it is skiing, playing guitar, whatever, it is always better after my mind and body are used to doing it without my having to consciously think it through.
    I think that we are saying the same thing.

I just wanted to make the point that the head was still there doing it's thing when it was out of the way just as it was doing things that are necessary for the process of getting out of the way while it was in the way. It takes a while to set up the neurological circuitry. Muscle memory is this circuitry.

I agree that being in a relaxed but involved state helps to train the brain to wire up relaxed smooth & fluid playing. You get what you ask for & the brain doesn't tend to solve the same problem twice. It will trigger the patterns that it already knows. If you practice tensely you'll play tensely later on.

I should take my own advice!

All the above is just me wagging a finger in what seems a reasonable direction as to how the brain works. What do I know, maybe its done with hamsters.
    I pick a moon dog.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that the vibrato comes naturally with time. When I first started playing BB King and Albert King were my inspiration, and their style is mostly bending and vibrato. So to emulate their tone the constant bends just progressed to finger vibrato. Now I have a huge callus on my first finger.
    I also have 10 strats and the whammy bar on all of them is in the case.
    It is really true what a lot of you have mentioned. I add a subtle ammount to each note without really realizing it. What Robert pointed out was it just adds to a lick making it come alive, and more interesting.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Default my 2 cents...

...1 st off I have no viable music training but have played for over 30 years so, here it goes. When you are trying to bend the strings lets say with your 3rd finger use the remaining fingers to help push up and or pull down on the string .It's just a start. This will help as you develop the vibrato and help the muscles in your fingers develop along with the callouses on the finger tips. When doing a slow bend I will use whatever fingers I have open to bend the notes as far into pitch that I can, on a good slow blues tune you can strangle a single note till it hurts. Hope this helps. J.H.
    we are what we are-Alice Cooper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks this is helping! I have been playing for 3 hours now trying to just do it alot easier than I was before. It already sounds better so atleast I know I'll do it right someday when I stop thinking so much.

That video is great. I think it's easier to learn something by seeing it.

Is it ok if the neck kind of shakes? I'm still doing that some. If that's a bad habit I don't want to keep practising wrong.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSong
    Thanks this is helping! I have been playing for 3 hours now trying to just do it alot easier than I was before. It already sounds better so atleast I know I'll do it right someday when I stop thinking so much.

That video is great. I think it's easier to learn something by seeing it.

Is it ok if the neck kind of shakes? I'm still doing that some. If that's a bad habit I don't want to keep practising wrong.
    Remember, if it works, it's not the wrong way. Find what works for you. If you think the neck movement is hindering your progress, than focus on stopping it, however personally I wouldn't be too concerned.

Relax and it will get easier.

The biggest tip in golf is to relax, it applies here too.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is just fine for the neck, or even the whole guitar to shake. Many do it that way. Like Strum said, no wrong way really. Watch some youtube vids of your favs and see how they do it. Glad it is helping and you are having fun with it, which is really the key.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I won't worry then,it sounds alot better so just happy about that right now.I better stop for tonight though.My fingers are sore!!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Jimi Vaughan atually throws the neck back and forth when he does some of his vibratio. So movement on the neck is cool.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12