Thread: NFL Conference Championship Games

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I'm not familiar with players on the Jets, what does he have to work with coming out of the gate?
    They have Calvin Pace (LB) and Kris Jenkins (DT) as vets to work with. Both are star quality defensive players. They also have Darelle Revis (CB) who will be going into his third year. I watched plenty of Revis in college at Pittsburgh and he has been exactly what I hoped he would be. He's turning into one of the higher quality cornerbacks in the game. Teams are throwing to his side of the field less and less as time goes on. There is some other talent on the D but I would like to see that side of the ball addressed a lot more in the upcoming draft and through free agency as there is really nobody else that I would say should be guaranteed a spot on the roster for next season.

I've said before that I hope the Jets draft Ray Malaluaga if he is still available when they use their first pick, but he may not make it down that far in the draft. The key to a Rex Ryan defense is an outstanding middle linebacker and I think Malaluaga would fit the bill perfectly.

There are also three outstanding free agents on the Baltimore defense that I wouldn't mind if at least one of them follows his coach to the Jets. I am sure Baltimore will offer Suggs however much money he wants, but Bart Scott would be a nice pickup for the Jets and Ray Lewis, while not the player he used to be, would be exactly the kind of veteran defensive guy who can teach the younger guys to act like winners.

And hey Strum, the Jets are in the lead today too!! Next year's AFC championship game Jets v Browns? It'd be fun to try to stick it to Mangini.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

As a lifelong Eagles fan, I'm heartsick today. I'm sure I'll get over it someday but...

But I've got to chime in on McNabb and Reid -- yes, they go braindead at the worst times, but we've been to 5 (or is it 6) NFC championships in the last 10 years. We've got a chance to do something every year, and not a lot of teams can say that. How would you like to be a Browns fan? Or Lions?

I get frustrated with Reid and McNabb, but they would both be snapped up in a heartbeat if we ever let them go. Philly fans don't know how good they've got it. Do you really want to see Kevin Kolb running the offense next year (shudder)?

Maybe getting this close will be the motivation we need to win it all next year.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Birv.

It's why I would take McNabb on either of my teams in a heartbeat. He's been key to the success the Eagles have had over the last decade. They may not have been able to win the championship games or Super Bowl, but they've gotten there in large part because of his play.

Not every QB makes the right decisions all the time, but McNabb seems to make plenty of them and his athleticism is an intangible which greatly benefits the Eagles. If they were to drop him, then what? There is no free agent of his caliber available so that leaves Kolb. Kolb may be good someday, but I don't think a team that just made the NFC championship game should be at a "rebuilding" stage just yet.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer