Well in hindsight my comments to a cousin on Boxing day came back to bite me. He was asking how the "Global Economic Crisis" effected me professionally and I said "What Crisis, it's business as usual mate".

Then last Wednesday we were told out whole company is pulling out of Australia meaning everyone in our office will lose their jobs including me.

Famous last words huh.

It's a pretty big deal as the company I work for has been in the Australian IT market since the 80's, but the instability of the US dollar, followed by the Japanese crash (It's a Japanese company) and the rise and rise of Korean and Chinese brands has essentially caused us to be uncompetitive and the decision was made to shut it down.

Working in my favor is the fact that I've been here for more than 15 years, so I'm being compensated quite satisfactorily and have no immediate financial pressure. I've also worked in more than half a dozen different roles within the company so my skill set is quite diverse. Also a good thing I hope.

I'm taking this as a positive thing, forcing me to try something new, and I'm seriously considering a bit of an improv world tour to drop in on my mates OS before I look for another job. I'm also thinking of trying to hook up work somewhere OS, but thats a distant hope as I'm a little old for the standard working holiday visa (I'm looking at you Canada, 35 year old cut off? Pfft)

Anyway I'm still here for up to 2 months to help wind it all up and then my bank balance gets bigger than its ever been in my life, so whilst I am mildly freaking out, I'm pretty positive at the same time. No more guitars or amps for a little while though

(and thus ends my thread jacking of Kat's new job thread )