Thread: Low watt amps...

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Low watt amps...

Just some babbling and rambling on my part. Recently, I sold all my big amps (except for my Delta Blues 210) and with the money from the sales bought two of the Blackheart amps (the Little Giant Head and Handsome Devil head). I also found a Crate V212T cab on evilbay at a great price.

For years, I was convinced that small amps just didn't sound that good: Keep in mind though that I grew up in an era where "small practice or home amps" meant a 15-watt solid state that sounded like a cardboard box with a speaker stuck in it.

This really is a great time for guitarists....some REALLY GOOD small amps have come out in recent years that really deliver; whether it's the Vox AD**VT line, Peavey Vypyrs, Egnater Rebel, Blackheart, Epiphone, Blackstar, the new Voxes that will be coming out....these amps all deliver very well on tone and at volumes that won't leave you deaf or disturb the family/neighbors. Plus, they are REASONABLY PRICED.

Tube amps had pretty much been impractical for me because of my living situation (a townhome) but the recent innovations with the smaller amps have closed a gap which I always thought was out there: great gig sized amps, and cheesy amps for the home noodler.

Tone is a matter of subjectivity, and I've owned amps like a Blues Jr and an AC15 but thought they lacked a certain depth so to speak. Plus, I got way too caught up in the latest "flavor of the day" syndrome that many of us go through where we see a new amp come out, sell the old ones, and go with the new fad. Also, I never thought I'd play something other than a Fender, etc (that brand recognition bias).

Part of it too is that I'm probably a little burned out with buying and selling gear and probably spent more time tweaking amps rather than playing.

Sorry for the rambling editorial, but I think this is a GREAT time for guitarists: Good gear, good tone, reasonable prices.....:
    Last edited by TS808; January 31st, 2009 at 10:11 AM.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.