Thread: How to inspire one's kids to play guitar?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter expressed interest in bass, so I told her she could play any of mine that she wanted (I don't have anything expensive) and that eventually we could get her one of her own, if she wants. Over time, I also bought a little 2x10 cab for her use, and rehab'd an old bass head of mine that previously wasn't working, so she would be able to have something to play through in her room at Casa Krashpad (all my amps except a tiny half-watt 2x8 practice guitar amp are at my office).

I've shown her some scales, as well as the major chords, so she has all of those written down for reference. I also taught her a couple songs. She basically went online and taught herself tab with a little help from me (at this point, since I never really use tab, I'd bet she is better at it than I am, though that is not saying much).

Things have gone slowly, because I'm not really a guitar/bass teacher. I try to answer her questions whenever she brings any to me. So I'm more like a facilitator than teacher, if that makes any sense.

She is in a very demanding academic high school program (pre-International Baccalaureate, with some Advanced Placement classes as well) and does not have a lot of spare time besides her studies. Recently, our church youth group has decided to have their own youth music group, and she is very excited about trying to play bass for that. Hopefully, that will keep her interest up.

The youth music group leader was supposed to get some music to her in advance of tonight's meeting, which never happened, and she is far from being able to sit down with a lead sheet or sheet music with chord notations and play right away. However, hopefully they will start supplying her with music and I can help her practice in advance of the meetings. That would allow her energies to be much more focused than they have been to date. I'm really looking forward to that.

Post Thanks / Like

How many times did I ask myself how I get my kids (6 and 4) inspired to play an instrument. They love singing and dancing like almost all kids do and they love it when I take the guitar and sing some kids stuff with them. BUT as soon as I want to start explaining something on the guitar, they kinda block. My son recently said he would like to play the drums, but I think his interest changes from minute to minute.

It's hard to inspire them. But I am convinced of the fact that if they grow up in a musical household chances are quite high they play an instrument one day.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)