Someone asked me how to install a nut properly so I thought I'd pose the question to real experts such as yourselves.

I'm no authority when it comes to building or installing nuts, but I'll post how I've been successfully peforming nut replacements with precut Graph-Tech nuts. I suggest waiting for others to chime in as they will surely offer suggestions that are better then mine.

I use the Graph-Tech nuts because they are frictionless, precut, and easy to install. They tone the highs down a little bit, add midrage to your tone, and improve tuning stability immensely. The self lubricating material never binds or sticks as other materials do.

If you do decide to try this, make sure the string spacing is the same on the new nut before you start working. I exclusively use the the precut Graph Tech precut nuts from Stew-Mac since they are the cheapest vendor I've found that sells them. I'd like to try some other materials but it's the only precut nut I can find on the internet.

Here's my hack procedure:
  • Remove the strings.
  • Use a pair of pliers to slowly wiggle the nut loose and pull it gently out of its joint. If you are rough, you can crack the finish on the neck and cause an unwanted blemish.
  • Use a razor blade, screwdriver, or sharp kitchen knife to scrape out any leftover glue.
  • Put the nut in the neck. Trim the edges and file the bottome adjuster with a fine file until you reach the desired height and fit. (The stock height has been spot-on 85% of the time for me.)
  • Rub a small amount of Elmer’s Carpenter glue in the slot with a toothpick until you have a decent enough amount to make a good tight fit.
  • Install the nut and be sure you firmly push down to ensure its seating is solid.
  • Allow a few hours to dry,
  • Restring, set the desired string height, tune up, and away you go!
I always rub a dab of 3-in-1 weight oil between my fingers and smooth it out across the string wherever friction will occur. (nut, saddles, and tremolo block cavity). This ensures a smooth lubricated connection which will aid tuning and resist string breakage.

Ok guys... now tell me what I'm doing wrong.