Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gibson cutting jobs

Thread: Gibson cutting jobs

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have to question Gibson's recent marketing and product development practices over the last year or so. They keep coming up with some instant fail guitars, like...

The recent Gibson Hendrix guitar mega fail:

The $4000 robot guitar:

The really good acid induced Zoot Suit SG:

The Raw Power series:

I'll stop before I loose my stomach contents!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I dont usually get involve in these type of discussions but ill add my 2 cents.

The robot guitar was a failure why???? It was innovative has helped with some of my limited motion/mobility and can tune to other tunings fairly quick and can intonate itself. I have yet to have any problems period..how can one say it was an instant failure if they have not owned or atleast played one...nuff said

I do see a potential problem in the future with the electronics under the saddle /bridge do to sweat......but then ill just frakenize it

Last edited by mrmudcat; October 7th, 2009 at 02:58 PM.
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Tig minus the fist pic (hendrix) here lies the problem with innovation of say gibby or fender. The traditionalists will hate every new model or any new version of an old design.Some like me are open to various versions of the ol stand by's. Some new models reverse v,the eye are appaling in my opinion but the raw sg/lp I will purchase soon.I like a maple neck
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    The robot guitar was a failure why????
    It was a business failure. I know it takes a few swings to hit a home run, but they are striking out a bit too much lately. -The O/P was about Gibson laying off employees due to business slowing down, etc. I brought up a few of their recent developements that have failed to sell, which I believe is a big reason Gibson isn't doing well. As in, they've done it to themselves.

It isn't just about traditionalists not liking newer designs (nothing will please some peep's!), but consumers not liking what Gibson is pushing out the door in general with their latest offerings. When an economy is tight, you have to be wise in what you develop and produce. I feel that Gibson hasn't done their research before designing and producung some of the newer products. They appear out of touch and misguided. I'll bet they do a little re-org at the top of some of their departments soon.

The Dark Fire concept is actually pretty cool, but how much market is there for it at that price?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Gibson's HD.6X-PRO Digital Guitar and the Gibson Robot Guitar have been some of the most innovative products to come down the pipe in 70+ years. What factual supportive evidence is there to backup the statement it was a buisiness failure(amount of sales) The zoot and the raw listed as instant failures yet they are new to market and I find it presumptive to say they are failures(yet)

Anyways im out as I find these discussions go round and round full circle.

Duane Skydog Allman

Post Thanks / Like

This Gibson announcement was made in march???

All replies are of my opinion nothing more or less and no disrespect is/was intended
    Duane Skydog Allman

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just add this and shut up:

In today's world, money, the bottom line, has become more important than people...human beings. Money has become the be all and end all. Everything and everyone else is secondary. That's all.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    In today's world, money, the bottom line, has become more important than people...human beings. Money has become the be all and end all. Everything and everyone else is secondary.
    In today's world? You should read Iggy Pop's favourite book "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon.