Quote Originally Posted by Mick
Okay, I'll try that...

But what if the problem is actually a combination of two or three bad tubes? This amp has a total of 12 tubes (seven 12AX7's, one 12AT7, and four 6L6GC's) and any of them might be microphonic, right? I could be swapping tubes in different combinations until hell freezes over!

When I was a kid they used to have vacuum tube testing machines at the store. I remember my dad taking tubes from our TV in for testing. Why don't they have something like that nowadays?
So that people can charge you extra for doing the testing for you. But really, without the cynicism, a tube tester like that won't pick up a microphonic tube. For that you need an audio amplifier like, say, a guitar amp. Get two new 12AX7s and a new 12AT7 and swap each one with the new ones. If you swap one out and there's no difference you can say that's a good one. The problem won't be in the power section so you can save yourself the cost of the 6L6s and a bias adjustment straight away. And when you've found the bad one and thrown it away, you'll still have a spare or two for when the next one goes bad :