Thread: Just wondering, what type of music is your main thing?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even know how to begin answering that question. I'm all over the map. No, I'm on a bunch of different maps.

My roots are firmly in punk on the one hand and jazz (bebop and postbop) on the other. And I was a major Kiss fan when I was a kid, so I'm naturally drawn to any genre where there's fire and screaming.

OTOH, I'm still gigging primarily in the Irish trad world; I never listen to the stuff anymore (feels like bringing my work home with me) but the money is good and the pond is small. I can be really tiresome and cynical about it, actually.

I'm composing ambient electronic music, thoroughly strange and resolutely noncommercial. I'm fascinated by electronica in general, especially drum & bass and triphop.

I'm also loving what's going on in metal these days: bands like Mastodon, Kysela, Baroness. Weirdly, I was never much into metal before I was in my late 30s.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b
    My roots are firmly in punk on the one hand and jazz (bebop and postbop) on the other.
    the same here, and i've often contended that one could draw a direct line from one to the other...

historically, it goes like this for me and i think someone like yourself will see what i mean...

bird --->

60's modal miles ---->

60's trane (esp with pharoah sanders) ---->

ayler, ornette (esp with james ulmer) and 70's miles (esp with pete cosey and sonny sharrock) ---->

the mc5, stooges, beefheart ---->

almost every punk band of the 70's (esp the voidoids and television) ---->

the post punk scene of the uk in the later 70's early 80's (esp wire and joy division) ---->

gregg ginn's (balck flag), d boon(minutemen), and hüsker dü---->

the new york no wave scene of the 80's (especially sonic youth and dna) ----->

john lurie's lounge lizards and marc ribot's rootless cosmopolitans ---->

john zorn's naked city band, anything marc ribot does (esp spiritual unity and shrek)

sorry for the history tangent but someone here once asked me to elaborate on the comment i've made previously linking jazz and punk, and this seemed as good a time as any.

so to answer the question of this thread, i think i just did.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer