Sorry to raise this topic, since most musicians don't really like talking about this subject. But I wanted to find out if any of the rest of you are struggling with tinnitus (persistent rigning in your ears)

It's very common amongst us musicians. I've researched it on the internet and I'm finding a long list of performers who have it (Pete Townsend , Sting, Phil Collins, Bonno, Steve Lukather, ...)

I've never been bothered by it until the past several months since it seems to be almost constant and much louder than it used to be. It's weird because I don't listen to loud music, or play in loud bands anymore, I haven't for some time. And I only use my iPod every now and then. But I have used headphones quite a lot over the years for recording and practicing. Headphones are one of the worst things you can do for your hearing as I'm learning (I'm trying to avoid using them anymore unless I absolutely have to).

I wanted to find out if any of the rest of you are strugging tinnitus, and if you have found any treatments for it? I've tried a few things, such as decreasing my caffine intake (that's a tough one), and changing what I eat. But it doesn't seem to help much. If I run across anything that works for me, I'll be happy to share that with the rest of you.

Any good advice is welcome.

For you younger guys, avoid those headphones and turn down your iPods! Invest in some noise-canceling headphones so that you can listen to your music at a lower volume in noisy places.

If you don't you will regret it when you hit your 40's and you have this same problem that I'm having.

-- Jim