I don't change my setup very often, but one thing I do vary some is OD pedals.

I've used a few tubescreamer variations, liked 'em...and then gone back to Marshall Jackhammer. (very little drive, OD mode, some boost - sounds very much like a cranked old JCM800 on my Ceriatone and loses no definition).

I also bought a BOSS Od-2 (I think - the yellow one) and I loved that too, but then in comparison, again I reverted to the Jackhammer. For a really big part though I only use a compressor to make the ceria scream, or sometimes a tech-21 clean boost.

Now I understand Duhvoodooman builds pedals and understands a lot of them...is there really much difference between the pedals, or is it just between the ears? What would be your suggestions? Remember I live in Finland so I have no access to his or many other boutique pedals.

What I would like is an OD pedal that has bare minimum of controls - wouldn't change the sound very much but still give my already very crunchy EL84 amp sing 'over the edge'. I need only one setting on it anyway, I hate pedals with lots of options and tone knobs and whatnot - no need for those. Just gain and maybe volume is already too much :-)

I wonder if I should also try some distortion pedals, maybe I could get something out of those as well...haven't really owned distortions in 10 years or so, except all those modelers I've played. Well there's a distortion mode in the jackhammer, but it isn't too good - quite buzzy.

But...anybody know a tubescreamer that retains clarity well and doesn't clutter up or darken the sound much?

Oh one more thing...I don't really like tube pedals/drivers in front of a 100% tube amp either...it gets way too saturated/thick and warm, gets that buzzy quality just like Santana and Moore and even Slash etc...I hate that guitar hero warm thick 'easy listening' sound, it's gotta have some liveliness and edge to it.