Hey there folks,

I have been thinking about this for quite a long time and I mean a long time.
How far is our playing an image of our own character? I mean is the smooth jazz player also a relaxed cat in life? Think of characters like Steve Vai maybe to name an extreme. All his attitude seems to be parallel to his playing...

In 1997 Noel Redding the bass player of the Jimi Hendrix Experience stayed right next door in my hotel. He was a brillant guitar and bass player and his playing had this "get out of my way I am desperate" attitude. When I spoke to him I figured out that all his playing already gave away his character. Or for example Mark Knopfler - I was surprised when he spoke to me about fishing and educating kids. During the show I thought that his playing sounded like the playing of someoe with a big heart. Not pretentious at all, much love in the melody lines...I felt that his behaviour was close to his playing.

Another extreme example is Greg Koch. He did a a clinic tour with Fender in 2002. Man, his playing is extraordinary and sometimes bizzare. Exactly like this he behaved when he was not playing the guitar...he is really a very very nice and cool guy, but he used to shock people with immitating a dog - and he really could shock you with this. All his behaviour was "comic" if you know what I mean....just listen to his CDs and you will find this. This is also valid for Matthias "IA" Eklundh.

Don't know if all this is coincidence, but somehow I think there is a connection!

Take it easy and I hope my thread gave you something to think about :-)

Greetz
Jimi75