Thread: Which Modeling Amps Should I Look At?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of guys around here---myself included---like the Vox modeling amps.
    The attenuator knob is great. You can get an amp that's loud enough for a jam, but still sounds good at super-low bedroom volume.
    A couple of the preset amp models are very good, others need EQ tweaks to your liking.
    Having owned SS and tube amps, the Vox responds somewhat like a tube amp on my favorite 80's U.K. crunch setting, playing loud with humbuckers.
    Add just a touch of reverb or a tiny bit of delay, and it really jumps out at you.

Lincoln, UK. Probably at the V-Power pump. Again!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey dude

I'm pretty sure my next purchase is gonna be a Vox VT30. Sure enough, a pure tube amp does make a compelling argument, but at a cost I can't stretch to at the moment. Then add all the pedals, etc..... a big no-no for me at the moment! Maybe in a year or two???

At the moment I'm running a 5 watt tube amp with pretty pleasing tones itself... but I'm prefixing this with my KORG Pandora effects box. While this is a good "home" setup, I'm gonna go with the VT30 for the reasons that 1. It does sound very very tasty in it's own right 2. I'll be able to switch models with a foot switch, rater than stopping playing to manually scroll through settings on my Pandora 3. It can be run at attenuated wattages for the driven effect at lower "home" volumes and 4. It's very reasonably priced 5. It's very reasonably priced.

I think point 4 was so important it needed to be mentioned twice.

Sure I'd love a Fender tube amp just like I play through when I go for lessons, but that would cost 3 times as much. Plus the cost of the pedals. Also, I wouldn't crank up the volume at home like you can in a soundproofed studio (converted detached garage).

Vox VT30 it is for me, then
    Translucent red Ibanez Artcore AFS75T archtop semi : Rotosound Roto Blues (10-52)
    Black/white Yamaha Pacifica 112V : Rotosound Roto Yellows (10-46)
    NEW - VOX Valvetronix VT30 with VFS5 foot-switches
    Crate V5 - 5 Watt valve amp voiced by 10" Jensen speaker
    KORG Pandora Toneworks PX4D effects gizmo
    Sensei called Johnny
    Oriental red sunburst Yamaha APX700 electro-acoustic