After seeing many positive comments about this overdrive/fuzz pedal from Way Huge (the original version of the brand, not the current one), I finally decided to buy the WHRL clone kit from GGG. For $45 plus $6 shipping, how could I go wrong?

Anyway, I got it a few days ago and threw it together quickly last night. I've been working on a bunch of ZYS orders (definitely NOT quick builds!), and needed a change of pace. The WHRL is a ridiculously fast build--tiny PCB, a handful of components, and only two control pots (gain & volume) to wire in. I knocked it off in a little over an hour. I'll post a "gut shot" when I have a chance. It's mostly air in there....

Anyway, it's got a very interesting tone--I don't have anything else like it. You could describe it either as a rather fuzzy sounding overdrive or a rather low gain, smooth sounding fuzz pedal. Pretty cool combination, really. It also seems to stay pretty focused down in the low end--doesn't muddy up very much, like so many dirt boxes are prone to do. I've only spent maybe 5 minutes playing through it so far, but was quite impressed--especially considering the low investment in time and $$. Here's a YouTube video of the WHRL that will give you a fairly good idea of how it sounds, at least with a Strat: