Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tube Amp Recommendations

Thread: Tube Amp Recommendations

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tube Amp Recommendations

Alright, I figured after doing tons of reading myself I might as well consult some fellow experts. I play primarily jazz/blues, preferring reberb and delay as effects, with sometimes a hop into a compressed dirty tone . but still more on the clean side than really twisted. Anyone play a similar style or can recommend a decent tube amp? I'd prefer it to...

a) be in the 30 / 50 watt range,
    b) i have to lug it up and down 3 flights of stairs whenever I take it to play out somewhere, It can't be built out of balsa wood and eric lindross jaw bones
    c) It looks like I am in the 0 - 1k price range here. As nice as those higher end models appear to be....

thats about it. I know I've torn the lid off pandora's box with such an open ended question, but lets have it! :-)

--EDIT-- how about a list of some models I've considered and what might be making me think twice:

Epiphone Custom 30
    its a 2x12 30Watt tube amp, although it has a closed back, and an internal fan (which I've read has died on some people...) I'd rather not have a fan assembly, as it is indeed one more thing to go wrong, and why contain all the heat with the closed back? It has a vented grille so it's not even a solid closed-cabinet... but it looks enticing for the pricepoint. another caveot... since when did epiphone make amps?

Vox AC30
    Its.. over a grand. I think I am paying a lot for a "name" in this case. I like the nasty heavy reverb I've heard come out of this thing but... there are cheaper fully devoted pedals for such things, 1.3k is asking a lot, or am i wrong?

Bugera V22 / V55
    I actually got one of these but had to return it, it was having all kinds of problems and there was no biasing information available from the manufacturer to even begin trying to see if that was the issue... no more shopping for the bottom-of-the-barrel, lesson learned.

I've also looked at the Carvin Nomad, and the Peavey Custom 30. Thinking something American Made would be nice, spend my dollar in the US, and (hopefully) get some better quality out of it.
    Last edited by redgibson; December 8th, 2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: adding models that piqued interest