Can't lug the Dr. Z/cab/attentuator out every time I get the urge to play. Because of kids (potential clumsiness) & cats (potential clawliness), I have to keep the cab covered and the amp in it's case. Gone (for now) are the days I can set up and leave it ready. Far off are the days where I will have a dedicated music room that I can shut off from gear mangling critters of the 2 legged & 4 legged variety.

Picked up a Fender Champion 600 at GC today. Got it home, cranked it, and loved it's tone. Unfortunately, it sizzled and crackled like a bastard. Probably the tubes, but I really wasn't in the mood to fool with it. Went right back.

Surfing the 'net, I happened upon some cool stuff like these:

http://www.cactustubeamps.com/homepage.htm

But really: 102 decibels? And that beer can amp may be a sturdy beer can, but it's still a beer can. Maybe next time. I just want something 5 watts or so that crunches. And I want it cheap. And I need something that has a proven track record for at least being consistent.

Bingo! I ordered a Pignose 7-100 portable amp. You know the little one that you can open and close the case to make a wah noise? LOL. Keef & Joe Walsh have used them, and rumor has it Jimmy Page recorded "Since I've Been Loving You" with one. Oughta be fun...