Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
Steve, could you be more precise on what you want to know more about? Home recording, amp modeling, midi...?

As you already have an iMac (and iLife 06 with Garageband) you already have a very capable recording studio. Included with Garageband is several plugins (among them a very decent amp modeler), software synths and a bunch of loops (drums, bass, guitars and so on). You can also check out the Jam Packs available from Apple (I have Jam Pack 1) which adds more loops, effects & sounds. A iMac has a preamp built in, so you can connect your guitar directly to the line in and enjoy good quality, low latency sound. Perfect for amp modeling!
Garageband is super easy to get started with, so if you have used a portastudio or even a tape recorder you should have little or no problems recording with it.

A couple of areas:

First, where to get started. I think you already answered that. Just start using the iMac, software, etc. Also, I will read up on the stuff provided by apple.

Second, re: amp modeling, I was shopping for my first amp and am headed toward the Vox AD50VT, partly because of the modeling built in. The thought occurred that I could get a different amp, maybe all tube, and do modeling with the computer instead. I would do that with a new duo core Powerbook. Essentially, plug the guitar into the computer, do all my modeling and effects, then feed it though an amp. I realize that this is all very newbie type stuff so please bear with me. Again, I will spend some time on the Apple site, with some seminars and online info there and clarify my questions for later discussion.