Thread: Working for free

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well I've written about this before...these days, for free is the norm. If I've thrown a few hundred gigs, I've been paid for maybe a dozen, and even then only maybe twice or so the pay has actually covered the costs.

Thinking about a local gig...they simply will not pay you. Nowhere. The best they can offer is let you have a few buck cover charge you collect yourself...but they won't allow that on good nights. Any given fri-sat night there will be a gold-selling artist or two playing in a bar within a 2-mile radius and a big international in some nearby town anyway, so there will be no crowd if you do.

If you want ANY public there, the only option is to do it for free, in which case you might land a gig spot on some Friday or Saturday in a local bar once or twice a year...or a bar farther away. Might get a case of beer for the gig, plus they'll usually arrange the soundman and PA.

If you get 50 gigs under your belt for free, and some radio play, you can start asking for ~300 or so for gigs in neighboring towns...which will just barely pay for the hotel and gas, but in the long run be clearly negative for cash flow too.

I've played festivals and won a national rock video 3rd place award, had national TV video play for a month's rotation, had two dozen songs appear on national radio from one to a dozen plays each, and I never made a dime, just thousands of loss, when you calculate all costs and whatnot.

An idea of actually making money/selling my music is f***ing laughable to me.
    It simply will never happen in volumes that would matter at all.

The only thing people buy these days is pretty idols kid's music...the ratio otherwise is, if a million people have heard my stuff, five of those have paid/bought it, a few hundred have leeched it for free, and the rest just listen to it live online.

Every bloody pupil into music in my school for instance has a collection of tens of thousands of songs on their iPods, all leeched off warez sites for free.

IF they pay for music, it's Spotify, or Nokia's comes with music, Pandora, or some other thing they can just stream with practically no cost. Everybody has a cell phone with 3G/WLAN anyway, and they watch youtube and listen to spotify etc. all day long no problem. I suspect many of those 16-yr olds never even owned or used a CD even.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Smaller towns like the one I live in have 'open mic' nights or 'jam sessions' where anyone can show up and play. I think the establishments get around paying for entertainment in this fashion.

There is seldom any organized music group that comes in and actually gets paid, though there are a few from time to time.
    Turner Model 1 C-LB, Seagull S6+, Ibanez 12 string, Dean Bavarian Vendetta
    VOX AC50 CP2, Roland RE-20, Boss CE5
    Kurzweil SP88X, Yamaha MM8, Roland R-5
    TASCAM 38-8, Behringer SX4882, Alesis Midiverb III, Alesis Midiverb IV, DBX 262, DBX 266, Omnifex DDX1024, TASCAM DBX Type II NR
    Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM57, SM7, Sennheiser 402's

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelE
    Smaller towns like the one I live in have 'open mic' nights or 'jam sessions' where anyone can show up and play. I think the establishments get around paying for entertainment in this fashion.

There is seldom any organized music group that comes in and actually gets paid, though there are a few from time to time.
    Yep, we have those as well, although they seem to be rather places for a handful of local bands to appear and play covers. If you go there alone, you either have to join a band as an additional musician or not play. You need to bring along a band pretty much, if you want to play/sing what you will, and there seems to be a pecking order of sorts on who plays when and so on, which I don't know about (I don't really know a lot of local musicians.)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I use to donate some work from time to time but not much any more. I'm not that great at playing guitar as of yet that I would ask for payment, I do enjoy it as a hobby and I don't expect anyone to play our festival for free. It takes money to travel and buy gear so I at least see that the new acts get to sell CDs and enough to cover travel and maybe a little extra. I see acts pricing themselves out of work too, I know that small town festivals and events can't pay $20,000 for acts unless you get corporate sponsorship. I see those who charge less getting more bookings and gaining more fans from a larger coverage area.

Post Thanks / Like

I've played lots of benefits for free. They were for good causes. I don't participate in fundraisers where the band is ignored because nobody cares they showed up.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal