Quote Originally Posted by birv2
Yes, but you live in Finland, and my guess is they have not left the telecom infrastructure up to corporations?
I understand the networks are built and maintained by companies, not the government...I'm not that sure, but there is always talk about how the government requires the companies to ensure also the remote locations have proper access to basic communication lines. I understand that the companies are obligated to offer a minimum of 300kb data access and telephone access anywhere in Finland up to the farthest polar regions. There's been talk it should be a minimum of a megabyte-line anywhere.

There's been a lot of debate now they've pretty much scrapped all landlines already because the network companies think they are too expensive to maintain, that old country people don't know how to use a cell phone, so they install these GSM boxes there, where you can hook your old landline phone and it works just like a landline but is really GSM.

However, I do understand cable tunnels and lots of things like that in infrastructure is also built/cooperated with cities or townships/government.

I also understand that when I was a kid, the post office, railroads and telecommunications and lots of the factories/wood industry was owned and driven by the government, but these days they are all sold to private owners and run as business companies...dunno if the government really owns anything here any more.

But I do know the law mandates some services that those companies must maintain to keep their licence to operate; such as remote areas data and commuting services etc. even when they don't sustain themselves financially.

Hell, there was just news of this remote airport that they are actually getting the government offer free seats to capital flights for the area's residents, as otherwise it is just too expensive to maintain the airfield and routes. So the government dips in to make the route just maintainable for the company, and the residents get free rides whenever there is room on the plane...