Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
I saw this little Australian band open for Aerosmith at what Areosmith termed "their worst gig ever" in Billings Montana - it was ACDC with Bon Scott. At the time I didn't know who they were as they had just come to the States.

Wow, that must have been amazing! As you can imagine, AC/DC (Akka Dakka) along with Cold Chisel and the Angels are revered as near religious icons over here.

I missed out out seeing AC/DC with Bon Scott, but I saw Cold Chisel recently (a one of gig as they have long ago stopped playing as a group to pursue solo careers) and Ian Moss (Mossy) blew me away. That man can play a guitar. I'm not talking all screaming solo's and associated wankery (not that there's anything wrong with that) I'm talking a mature guy who puts all his heart and soul into his playing. If you're into blues/rock style guitar then seek him out and thank me later

As to discovering new artists playing as support acts I've found plenty, but none of the calibre mentioned here. I tend to frequent seedy grunge bars and whilst some of the bands I've discovered in this manner have had limited international success, none of them are household names like the examples you guys have. I'd like to say Wolfmother as my example, but whilst I was lucky enough to catch them in their original lineup before they broke large, they were always the headline act. I also remember seeing Silverchair back when they were only well known enough to secure the 10:30AM slot on a side stage at an all day music festival (BDO), but I knew who they were before hand so that doesn't count I guess. I did discover Nitocris playing early on at an alt music festival back in the '90's (4ZZZ Market day) and became a lifelong fan, but I'm betting not many people outside of the east coast of Oz even know who they are/were.