Speaking as a former bench tech I'd have to agree that Fluke are the industry standard, but they are a "pro level" piece of kit, which is why I'm going to say it's overkill for what you need Marnold.

I actually have 2 Fluke 75's, but I also have a little radio shack cheap unit that i paid like $20 for that I used to use only as a loaner "Hey can I borrow your multimeter?" Due to extreme laziness though, as both my flukes have had no battery installed for some years, I've just been using the cheap unit for general kit building and guitar stuff and it's absolutely 100% fine for that kind of work.

My biggest gripe with the cheap units are the leads. After using the sexy silicon coated Fluke leads, using "normal" leads on a cheap meter annoy me, but thats only because I spent years and years, day after day using Flukes. Totally a non-issue for casual repair work.

Oh and the cheaper ones don't tend to be autoranging, mine isn't, but when your starting out, thats probably a good thing. It'll make you consider what your measuring before you do it.

FWIW, As a first year engineer apprentice I started with an AVOMeter that one of the old guys let me use until I bought my own. I then bought a Fluke 73 AND a mid range (I forget the brand now) analogue meter as well.

Anyway, i'm rambling.

My .02c is get a cheap digital unless your looking to build up a professional toolkit. Analogue meters are great, and most definitely have their place in any pro toolbox, but the cheap ones are likely to be less accurate than a cheap digital, and they can be harder to read accurately too, so I say go cheap radio shack or similar digital.

Features?
For basic stuff then any bottom of the line unit will have what you need, but I recommend an audible continuity feature. You'll use it all the time. Apart from that.....(thinking).......I think transistor testers are a gimmick (you'll see meters with little sockets for transistors) You can test any type of transistor and determine the pinouts WITHOUT a transistor testing feature, so you wont need that. Oh, mine has a squarewave generator built in too, thats actually pretty useful for injecting signal into parts of a circuit for troubleshooting.

Oh and here in Oz, I'd say "MUL tea meat uhr".

Oh OH, and lastly... Get yourself some alligator clip leads too. Just a little length of wire with an alligator clip on each end. Buy a bag of them, make them yourself, any way is good, but I can tell ya, alligator clip leads and multimeter's go together like bacon and cheese.