Hello, my Peavey Classic 30 amplifier has a minor issue with the mids pot probably touching with the mid boost button, because when I work the pot sometimes the mid boost activates itself while the mid boost button itself is in the off position. This just fixes itself when I stop rotating the mids pot, but it makes adjustment annoyngly difficult.

So I was thinking about popping the hood up and looking inside. I am competent with a soldering iron, and have very basic experience with electronics (I can tell a diode from a resistor from a capacitor). I've so far succesfully modified a stock Ibanez TS9 pedal to Keeley specs, and built a BYOC Overdrive 2 and BYOC Large Beaver pedal.

The thing with tube amps, though, is that everywhere I've looked they say that you should be very careful because they have caps that store potentially lethal charges even when the amp is not plugged in. So professionals don't take chances, and discharge those before starting work inside.

If we have any experienced fellow forum members that would care to give me some tips on how to approach this specifically for a Peavey Classic 30, but generally for any tube amp, I would really appreciate it. I will keep looking up information on the Internet as well in the meantime. I won't go in until I can make sure it's all understood and with 0% safety risks.

Thank you!