Thanks for posting SYO, I really appreciate your point of view. The closest I've come to dealing with Chinese manufacturers was in Malaysia rather than China, and I dealt with big name manufacturers in any case, so your experience is much more relevant. (I have been to China, but as a tourist)

Quote Originally Posted by syo
As you correctly stated, marketing, exec. pay etc. are important factors. But the "chunk" that goes to worker safety is negligible. What really drives the price up is the cost of labor and storage. But this really isn't the problem that you suggest because while wages are so much lower, so is the cost of living. Someone earning the equivalent of a US minimum (poverty level) wage could live extremely well in the areas where the guitars are produced.
I could have explained myself better there I feel. What I meant by "worker safety" was that the factory complied with local health and safety laws. I felt it a safe assumption that if you are operating illegally there is no reason to adhere to relevant standards. This applies to environmental impact as well as worker health and safety. As you say though, I might be overstating the impact of this on cost though as I am unfamiliar with what it costs to be compliant with applicable laws in China.

Call it a theoretical objection

I am completely aware of the wages/cost of living equation though thanks to my passion for world domination...oops I mean world travel I've stayed in some of the most expensive cities (Tokyo for example) and some of the cheapest (Phnom Penh).

Poor worker conditions should be a concern for everyone. Piracy though, I believe, plays a small part in the problem. Huge international corporations trying to squeeze pennies are the main culprit. Those pennies often mean more work and less pay so that manufactuers can remain competitive and so that those in the west can enjoy cheap, socks, toys, and most other hard goods even cheaper. With the huge explosion in China's production the past 15 years, the government couldn't hope to keep up with abuses and corruption is common.
Just like in Britain, the US and pretty much everywhere else, the best labor practices evolved as the market matured. This is not an argument to exploit developing labor markets but it is a fact.
Agreed 100% However my point was more along the lines of illegal=no regulation=exploitation. As I said just before though, a theoretical objection.

One thing not mentioned though is the grass roots impact. From what I've seen (on TV) it's not at all uncommon for a pirate factory (or a legit factory that manufactures fakes in parallel) to start up in a remote area and employ most of the people from the area. If you know that smashing a fakes factory will put an entire community out of work and decrease their standard of living, it's a lot harder to grab the moral high ground I try to take. It's sad that as a result of the worlds rabid desire for branded objects that entire communities could be building their economic structure around companies/factories that could be torn down. Just another way of looking at it.

While the garment industry is notoriously bad all over the world
I'd go so far as to say "They started it" actually. I have no love for that game at all.

.. I have yet to see anyone close to 12 years of age anywhere on site at any music related factory......
Nothing but good news there. I probably watch too many documentaries to keep perspective sometimes

I am against piracy but I am also against the ridiculous luxury goods market. Both are cashing in on peoples' vanity. Except that the fake buyers aren't wasting their money...
Agreed re:vanity, kinda disagree re:wasting money.

Taking the worst offenders, the fashion/garment industry, I know that paying retail for branded clothing Vs paying for fakes will see the customer with the fake get substantially better value for money. No argument there, but my point all along has been that a fake product is likely to represent less value for money than an equivalent off brand product.

For example, when I was in Cambodia a while ago I picked up a couple of fake branded t-shirts to wear as mine were getting filthy. I'd have thought it hard to mess up making a t-shirt, but they were very ill fitting and made of some kind of fabric that looked like cotton, but did not breathe at all. (later I'd see this same kind of thing in Thailand, Vietnam, China etc). After tossing those T's I bought a couple of plain T's from a "local" store for the same price. 100% cotton, well made, and I still wear a couple of them 4 years later.

The fakes were made using absolute bottom of the barrel t-shirt stock and relied on people factoring the brand name into the value equation. To get back to guitars and the topic, I'd suggest the same is true of these fake guitars.

See what I'm getting at?