Quote Originally Posted by Eric
Well, this isn't TGP, so maybe this discussion will remain kind of civilized...

I like cheaper electric guitars, and I generally adhere to the idea that electrics are just wood and metal -- the sum of their parts. I just can't get behind the idea that the big boys have some extra something that is undefinable.

The lowdown on a lot of the imports from China and Korea is that they tend to be a bit cheaper on the pickups, etc. I do think there's something to what ZMAN says about electronics.

IMO, you have to look at whether the name on the headstock matters to you. If it does, it does -- there's no getting around that.

A guitar is a guitar is a guitar like Spudman said. Yes necks, bridge placement, tuners, frets, and all of that stuff matters, but once you have that, the name itself is moot.

Look at it this way: if you had four guitars handed to you, could you tell the difference between 1) A Gibby, 2) A good clone like a Greco, 3) A Heritage, and 4) Some high-end custom boutique LP copy, provided they were all set up well? I know I couldn't. If you could, more power to you, but I think people have a pretty powerful ability to convince themselves things exist when they really don't. Just look at tone...

FWIW, I don't own any expensive or name-brand guits, so I'm not exactly the authority on how copies stack up to the name-brand ones, because I haven't A/B'd them. I just have my opinions.
IMHO, I agree with what Eric says on this one. My personal preference is for the Korean made guitars over the Chinese made, they seem to be made better. There are three botom lines:
1. Price (I list this first due to my limited budget and ability to play)
2. Sound/Tone (almost as important as the first, but, again, limited ability...)
3. Name (does it really mean that much? To some, YES!)

So, for me, it is the "cheap coppies" that I get. I enjoy playing (or trying to play), but with the limited ability that I have (not to mention budget), just can't justify a $2k or $3k guitar purchase (though with all the stuff I have bought in the past couple of years, I probably could have afforded one in that price range ).

Kinda on the same subject (but not exactly), I have been to GC and looked at some of the guitars by Gibson and Epiphone. Can someone that knows, explain why the Epi's have (seemingly) better fit and finish? I mean, I looked at the finish on some Gibsons (SGs, 335s, Les Pauls, etc.) along the side of the neck and it is not smooth, rough fret edges, cracks in the binding at each fret, etc... I know I live in Colorado, so humidity and altitude play a part, but I don't, for the most part find this on the Epi's.
What gives? Is it the nitro-laquer? Has Gibson lost its QC? Sometimes I think I am just too darn picky? Anyway, seeing this also makes me think twice about spending $2000 on a guitar.