Thread: Differences in AlNiCo magnets/pickups question

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Want to try a set that will shock you, FrankenFretter?

Try these:
    EDIT to add: Too late, they're gone....
    I know they're Alnico V magnets, but these pickups have gotten rave reviews from everyone who's tried them. They are plain white bobbins but you can always cover them. You can't beat the price, that's for sure.

This is the last of the Giovanni pickups being offered. The Manufacturer has decided to just concentrate on their OEM business for guitar companies. If you're interested, I wouldn't wait long. When they're gone, they're gone.
    Last edited by Bloozcat; May 10th, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Magnets in HB's

Seymour Duncan makes a full size covered HB pickup called an Alnico II Pro I believe, or similar name.

I have an Epiphone LP Tribute with the sixties neck and the 57 Gibson USA pickups and it sounds really really good. Glad I spent the money and got that guitar instead of the Gibson faded, which is probably a really good guitar as well.

Anyway, I played the new ESP LTD EC 1000 Deluxe with the Seymour Duncan pickups. This year's model does not have the JB/59 combination that sounds so good, but has an equally good sounding set of Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups. I played the goldtop and almost bought one but got the Ibanez goldtop SZ320 with Duncan/Ibanez pickups instead, for less than one third the cost of the LTD and it sounds equally good in my opinion.

Back to the LTD with the Alnico II Pro SD pickups. They sounded really great. Pushed the preamp of a tube amp really well and had an overall sweet and smooth sound. I would buy Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups to put in a guitar without hesitation. The sound is full of sweet musicality and a great overdriven sound without a rough edge sound, uneven sound, or any crackling or popping. Just plain real smooth sounding, musical pickups that compliment many styles of playing, definitely my style of playing.

I found that after buying several GFS pickups that I will probably go for Seymour Duncans or another brand name instead of GFS, because the price difference is not that great and the build quality and sound of Seymour Duncans and Fender Custom Shops is way better than the GFS equivalents.

I bought some GFS hot P bass pups that sounded better than my Squeir P bass'es stock pups, but not nearly as nice as a set of Seymour Duncan P bass Quarter Pounders. I regret getting the GFS pups and will probably replace them with the Quarter Pounders.

Therefore, I would suggest saving up and getting a set of SD Alnico II Pro pups instead of going for the instant gratification of the less expensive GFS equivalents. Just my opinion.

I am always very happy with the SD pickups. I even had a set of Fender Custom Shop J bass noisless pickups put into a new Squier J bass I bought along with a new cap. Great sounding noisless J bass pickups, and Fender's! Can you believe that? I like my Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials in my Classic Vibe Lake Placid Blue sss aged white pickguard strat, very much as well.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art