Thread: Epi Swingster, Just a 5120 clone?

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epi Swingster, Just a 5120 clone?

I just got a new or nearly new Swingster in orange from a shop on eBay selling units stamper 2nd on the back of the peghead. Beautiful guitar. Plays prettywell, too. Has push pot tone controls to switch between series and parallel circuitry to produce a wide variety of tones. Comes equiped with Epis own SwingBuster pickups, which are nice but a bit on the bright side. Looks and priced like the Gretsch 5120. Unlike the Gretsch, the Swingster has a pinned roller bridge, which is a nice feature. No pick guard. The only problem to date is the action,which is set very low and string buzz fron the D and G strings. I thought I could correct by raising the bridge but it came fully extended.The stock bridge might not have the precise radius. Maybe why this is a second. Also the bridge is a bit unstable; the chrome assembly pulls or leans forward. I don't know if this is because it sits high on the threaded posts or it isn't anchored securely. This I am concerned with. I'm thinking about replacing the bridge with a Schaller which might have more stability and the correct14 inch radius.

I do like the feel of the neck, which is maple, shallow C and tappered. The vine inlay and pinstripe binding are beautiful. Could be a nice rockabilly guitar.
    Last edited by macwell52; May 18th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.