Thread: preferred cables?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of Monsters I'd trade ya' for your George L's if they are the .225 size Tig.

I don't like Monster cables. These are the Monster Jazz cables, big and thick, but they are supple and handle well. I don't like them for the tone loss I hear at partial volume on the guitar pot. I had some Monster Rock cables and two times the tip just snapped off. So the second time it happened I was no longer living near where I bought them and called Monster. He said the shop local to my new home carried them and would replace the. I knew the shop and go there often. But, they didn't carry them and suggested in the meantime I try a George L.
    BIG difference to my ears. 999 out of 1000 times I just plug straight in to the amp and use my guitar controls. At anything less than full volume on the guitar pot, the Monsters sound like mud to me while the George L's seem to preserve some of the highs and sparkle. A Vovox is my #1 cable, but at $117 for a 10' length I haven't sprung for a backup yet ~ LOL
    When I run a tuner pedal I use the Vovox and a George L
    While I'm not crazy about the Monster Cables, they do have outstanding customer support. I called them back and told them none of the local shops had them and could I take him up on his previous order to send them back to Monster. They were at least 2 years old, maybe older. He cheerfully exchanged them for 2 new 21' Jazz cables

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My George L's are just the .155 size. Maybe the thicker one's don't get as coiled up and stiff? I still use a George L for extension speakers.

The Monster cables I'm using aren't the jazz, but the Performer 500 and Rock cables. Maybe I'll A/B them with my many other cables.

Funny that you mention the Monster's breaking... My audio/videophile brother had similar bad experiences with Monster cables breaking. I'm fairly gentle with my gear, but who knows what will happen?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I have made my choice about 2 years ago when a friend recommended KLOTZ calbes to me. Tried and liked it very much. Very thick and harmonic sounding, you can feel the difference.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    My George L's are just the .155 size. Maybe the thicker one's don't get as coiled up and stiff? I still use a George L for extension speakers.

The Monster cables I'm using aren't the jazz, but the Performer 500 and Rock cables. Maybe I'll A/B them with my many other cables.

Funny that you mention the Monster's breaking... My audio/videophile brother had similar bad experiences with Monster cables breaking. I'm fairly gentle with my gear, but who knows what will happen?
    On mine it was the 1/4" tip that would break off of the plug end, right down at the base. I'm pretty easy on gear too, I was shocked when it happened the first time and amazed when it happened to a 2nd one.
    I originally had the Monster Rocks. The guy at Monster was kind enough to exchange them for the Jazz. I had explained how the shop he recommended had suggested a George since they were out of Monster and the differences I heard. He thought the Jazz would sound better. Not ~

I'm not sure if a cable would mean a hill of beans to a guy playing through a pile of pedals, but if your rig consists of a guitar, a tuner pedal and an amp, it's likely you will notice a difference