Thread: GAS effects, marketing, and usefulness

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I agree, and what I've been trying to say is that 9 times out of 10 the restlessness we feel isn't a desire for greater functionality -- it's really more of a desire for more novelty, which we lose once we know a piece of gear. It's a trap, and more bells and whistles only adds to the novelty and attraction of that next bit of gear.
    I thought about this (warning!) a little more and there can be a few good reasons for more bells and whistles...
    I'm looking into a really good, mid priced multi-effects system not for some endless chase for tone, but because I need/want several effects that will cost several times more if I buy individual pedals. Like many, my guitar budget is limited. A $200-$300 multi pedal would fulfill the missing gaps that allow me to create tones and soundscapes that are unavailable to me now. I could spend a $1000 or more for individual pedals, yet still wouldn't have as much to work with.

Same goes for any new player that doesn't know what effects they like or need, so a modeling amp or multi effects unit can do a good job for a small amount of investment.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I thought about this (warning!) a little more and there can be a few good reasons for more bells and whistles...
    I'm looking into a really good, mid priced multi-effects system not for some endless chase for tone, but because I need/want several effects that will cost several times more if I buy individual pedals. Like many, my guitar budget is limited. A $200-$300 multi pedal would fulfill the missing gaps that allow me to create tones and soundscapes that are unavailable to me now. I could spend a $1000 or more for individual pedals, yet still wouldn't have as much to work with.

Same goes for any new player that doesn't know what effects they like or need, so a modeling amp or multi effects unit can do a good job for a small amount of investment.
    Totally agree with you here, particularly on the part about new players and not knowing what they like.

Maybe a more accurate statement (can you tell that I think out loud a lot???) would be to say I find that if I'm looking at something similar to something I already have (possibly with more features, possibly not), there's a good chance that it's the novelty that is pulling me in.

If you're looking at MFX units, can I put in a positive vote for the Boss ME series and the Digitech GNX series? I own the ME-50 and find it to be a great non-amp-modeling unit, and anecdotally it seems like the GNX's can be had on the cheap and are very solid units.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner