Yes, I do use counting sometimes, especially when I'm trying to get a new song, or lick, under my fingers. I try not to rely on counting later on when I'm trying to make it feel more natural, but it's really important to use it for learning new parts, especially when the part uses a lot of syncopation and it isn't so predictable. The counting helps me to see where the notes fall at various subdivisions of the beat. If I can understand how it falls together, then I can usually begin to make it sound more natural, and then try to forget about the counting as I bring it together.

Sometimes counting can also help you to stay in the pocket when you're playing slower stuff too. For example, if you're playing a slower tune with a swing feel you can count the quarter notes in your head as triplets (1-and-a, 2-and-a, ...) and it helps you to keep the groove going and stay in time even when the drummer is doing a simpler beat along with you. If you hear the subdivisions as triplets then it helps you to "swing" better. (a Jazz bass player passed along that tip to me and it really helps)

--Jim