Actually although not the bottom-rung hundred dollar variety, in the $200-$500 range you can find all kinds of cool and offbeat guitars today. Maybe not quite as offbeat as the one in the OP, but certainly not the ho-hum Strat/LP shapes. And the modern ones are actually playable, unlike many of the old bottom-rung Teiscos, Deccas, Kays, and Harmonies.

A few cases in point from my personal stable, eh?

This DeArmond Jetstar (bought new for $225 iirc) is an obvious choice, based on the old Guild Thunderbird (see headstock inlay):

Schecter has a lot of cool shapes in addition to their more pointy stuff. The Tempest, seen here impersonating an LP Special (bought used w/ohsc for $250), is neither Strat nor LP:

The Danelectro reissues are inexpensive and bring back their own late '50's and '60's designs, plus the occasional new design like my Hodad (used $250), which borrows from Mosrite for its shape:

One which did cost me only a hundred bucks (used) is this Brownsville Choirboy, vaguely LP-shaped, but with a Dano-type thinline semi-hollow construction (bolt-neck), and 3 ab fab single-coil toasters with Strat-style 5-way switching:

Toward the higher end (I bought mine like new for $400) of the inexpensive guitars, the Fernandes Ravelle is a great shape:

I've gigged all these modern offbeat guitars in church and with my various rock bands.

Eastwood has already been mentioned, they do "reissues" of old guitars, one of which is the Ovation Breadwinner. I actually have one of the originals from the early '70's:

Eastwood's version is rather pricey, probably about what the originals are going for. I bought mine c. 1980 for ~$225 w/ohsc.