Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The crappiest guitar possible-project

Thread: The crappiest guitar possible-project

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The crappiest guitar possible-project

Well, I was tidying up in the basement and it dawned on me that I had a freak assortment of old parts lying around, possibly enough to build me a guitar, even.

Then it occurred to me, since they won't make a _good_ guitar, I could make the crappiest possible guitar with as little effort as possible, and proceeded to work.

Got me a beat-up plywood strat body, and affixed an old Flying-V neck. Well it didn't seem to fit well so I sawed off an inch from the end w/a power saw, then used a rubber hammer to force it in the pocket. Fits snugly, but kind of droops downward a little. Accidentally also sawed thru the truss rod end, but that's only good as it should be a truly shitty ax in progress. Found some assorted screws and spacers and screwed it tight.

Then I eyeballed where approximately the bridge should rest, and used an old warped piece of sideboard to get it pretty much in the center in relation to the neck. Found an old Nashville bridge, and since it seemed by eye to be about the right height, I just screwed it down. Adjustment options are just too hi-fi for this build! And to accompany a stop-piece, this time I didn't bother with screws, just nailed it there.

Well at this point I remembered I have this entire Squier picguard with mics and all in place, but decided that'd be too hi-fi so I rummaged thru the shelves till I found three different single-coils from satan knows what guitar, and used a couple of thin nails to nail one down at the bridge, eyeballing the height to be and position. Should work well!

That took me literally less than ten minutes in all, but now it's nearly done!

All I need to do is solder in a jack for the mic, I think I'll skip even the vol pot for now, and then I need to find some machine heads. Some screws to hold something for a strap, and it'll be good to go when stringed.

I'll be really interested in seeing how well or badly I can make this bastard sound :-)

Pics follow in a moment...and when it's all done, expect also videos :-)
    Last edited by Spudman; August 15th, 2010 at 01:06 AM.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.