When I speak of manufactured homes, I mean something like this:

Or

They are called 'package houses' here and they are not strictly pre-fabricated, but the houses are more like built somewhere in the factory in something like 20 parts that each fit a truck bed, and then assembled on site and built. I don't think the structures per se differ from a house that would be built completely on site.

The same way most apartment buildings are done, except in apartment buildings they'd build a concrete/steel 'skeleton' and then furnish it all over with similar 'element' wall parts etc.

I think that's mostly used because the 'best' season for building is quite short here; you only have a few months a year when it's reasonably warm and dry and thus it makes sense doing it with this kind of 'elements'.

The selection for this kind of houses is HUGE, there are hundreds and hundreds to choose from, ranging from 2-bedroom houses for maybe $30.000 to six-bedroom houses up to $250.000 or so. I'd venture an average home such as depicted in these pictures costs 80.000 to 100.000 in dollars.

The house itself isn't the most expensive one; the property adds about 50% and then all the infrastructure etc. which would bring an average house price tag to maybe 250-300K around here. My house was handbuilt in early 50's and much renovated, and it's worth is circa 300K now.

If I were to build a house for myself now, I'd probably however build it out of stone/concrete blocks and brick outer walls and have it drawn uniquely by an architect - it'd cost maybe 30K more than a package house but in the overall picture it's not hugely more expensive. I could save that much by doing much of the work involved myself.

But speaking of hurricanes and earthquakes, we have neither here. Some small bursts of wind, sure, some might even fell trees here and there, or throw around a few camping wagons and such light garages/huts but I've never heard of any natural phenomenon being able to seriously damage a house here - the only exception would be a tree falling on top of it. We had a tree fall over our house once and had to rebuild a small part of the roof that was damaged. But the roofs are built to withstand up to six feet of heavy snow and ice so they'll last thru quite a beating from winds too.