Just got an offer to have any of my bands play at something called "Boo-Fest," an annual weekend-long Bacchanalia, where local bands play for free, in return for free camping, and getting fed and beer'd all weekend!

I would gladly do this every year. I've played it in 2005 and 2007. The party's roots actually go back to the late '70's.

It's usually FINALLY gotten cooler by the post-Halloween date it falls on, so the camping is fun. And running around with a "band" laminate (in true Boo fashion, the laminates actually say "banned" on them) is always bosstastic, plus it's done as a continuation of Halloween (it most often is held the weekend after Halloween), so everyone is in a festive mood and often people are in costume. The free camping is worth a couple tenners alone (the weekend charge for non-band/VIP/organizers is $20), plus the band food is good and the beer is cold. Obviously, regular campers need to bring their own food and drink.

Here's this year's flier:

The "RPP" reference on the Tweedles is to "Reality Prevention Patrol," a longstanding Boo tradition, as is the Greek-letter "fraternity" sigma phi null, Boofest-speak for "signifying nothing."

Here's the property, referred to as "Port Green," because it's owned by the family of a local musician (whom I've know for at least 20 years), Rich Groene:

Here's my side band the Hotheads playing in 2005:

Here's Jack, El Krashpadito, wearing my old leather, 2007:

Here's us:

Hotheads again (different lineup) in '07:

Man, I can hardly wait!

If anyone is within driving distance of North Florida, I would highly recommend this for a great cheap camping "stay-cation."