Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Messed up my CV Strat pickup swap - help

Thread: Messed up my CV Strat pickup swap - help

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

haha, yea there is no experience like on the job training! lol

I'm sure the pickups are fine - after I took everything off and measure the wires the resistance of all pickups was correct.

The inside of that switch is a plastic center piece with little gears - on the side of the casing is a little BB that sits in a spot that interacts with the gears to create the detent effect. Functional, but not what I figured would be in there.

I couldn't wait for my 5-way to come. The luthier has 5-way switches so I just dropped the guitar off. As I was describing what I had already done and showing the guy the wiring diagram, I noticed that the steel braids were grounded to the switch and the black grounds where on the volume pot! I had the braided to the volume pot and the black on the switch so basically backwards! I was like "Aw s**t"!! Probably what the problem was.

Oh well - I'll have it back next week and it'll be rockin'.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr
    I had the braided to the volume pot and the black on the switch so basically backwards! I was like "Aw s**t"!! Probably what the problem was.
    Probably not - ground is ground, regardless of location, just like in an automobile electrical system, where the negative battery terminal is connected to the chassis making the entire car ground. In a guitar, as long as all grounds are connected directly or indirectly to the outer jack, they're all ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    Probably not - ground is ground, regardless of location....
    'Xactly! That should make no difference....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!