Has anyone had any luck finding a decent beginner guitar for a child?

My little guy is almost 6 yrs old, and has expressed an interest whenever I play. This alone doesn't mean he'll have the discipline or patience to learn if I get him a guitar, but I think it’s just as safe a bet as buying him anything else... new toys/games get neglected quickly for many kids.

We went to a local guitar shop the other night to have a quick look around. I quickly looked at acoustics, and thought there would likely be a lot of these in the local Craigslist ads, which there are a lot.

Before we left, we noticed a little Squier Mini in red. I have to say it did look cool, and for someone six yrs old, it looked like a regular strat on an adult. Even with the $99 price tag, it just didn’t seem like something I was willing to buy even at that price.

I decided to buy some extra light gauge acoustic strings to put on my parlor sized A&L Ami. The guitar was purchase used a couple of years ago. If I put a capo at the 2nd /3/4/5 fret, it should make it easier for him to reach the first position on the neck.

Has anyone had any success finding something to work for a young child?

David