Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hand exercisier surprise

Thread: Hand exercisier surprise

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hand exercisier surprise

A couple of months ago I bought a Planet Waves 'Varigrip' guitar player's hand/finger exerciser. I actually bought it because I injured a right hand finger this summer and the doc told me to work it with some kind of rehab squeezing thing. I wasn't surprised as a right-hander to find my right hand stronger and more 'capable' than my left, but I was kind of stunned to find that, despite finger exercises and playing, my left-hand fingers were way less independently operable than my right. This was most noticeable with the ring/pinky combination. On my right hand they are easily independent of one another, but on the left hand I could not depress one without the other! If I held back the ring finger, I could not depress the pinky and had a hard time restraining the ring (and to a lesser extent, the middle). Using it daily on the drive to work I am beginning to be able to build some separation, but I was really surprised. FWIW, I am finding that using the exerciser is increasing usefully for guitar playing the strength and dexterity (hmm, 'dexterity' comes from the Latin for 'right hand'!) of my left hand.
    Last edited by tjcurtin1; January 22nd, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp