Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Yikes, what did I get myself into?

Thread: Yikes, what did I get myself into?

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Yikes, what did I get myself into?

The rhythm guitarist and lead vocal (Brian Carney) pictured in the vid at the link below (from the early 90's) invited me to join him and the keyboardist and other vocalist (Johnny Valenzela) and a bass player in a regular jam.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1443097202081

These are the guys that put on the Dark Side of the Moon album concert this last summer in Hailey. http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=16125 They are looking for someone to add some fills, leads, lines and basically "ear candy" as Brian put it. They are playing acoustic instruments, but he said I could play electric as long as it fits the vibe. He covers rhythm, but said as I get comfortable, I could add some additional rhythm if it fit. If it goes somewhere, we might perform.

He suggested this song to get the vibe they are going for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0rG2ME4sAc

The songs he suggested I familiarize myself with include

"Goodbye Blue Sky" Pink Floyd
    "Into the mystic" and "Wild Night" Van Morrison
    "Norwegian Wood" if I get to it, by the Beatles.

We have talked guitar, and I have mentioned I enjoy messing with short fills and melody based lead stuff. I also told him, and he knows, I am pretty much a newbie type. Still, I feel I may have jumped into water over my head. He told me it was very loose and casual at this point, and that he was inviting me because I did not have pre-conceived notions. They have no firm plans at the moment, but it may go somewhere if it were to work out. Their prior lead guitarist would just get drunk and wank around horribly.

I talked this over with Spud, and I am going to put on these songs and listen, and hear some fills I could fill space with, and get ready to listen and underplay at first, to just get the feel.

Anyway, in I go. The water is just fine. Time to start swimming!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; February 19th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson