So here's another one I've kept under wraps for a while now. This is a veroboard build based on the the coveted OCD pedal and using the "Torchy" layout.

Knuckleduster by Ch0jiN, on Flickr

I socketed several components so I could tweak the tone and you'll see quite a fancy mix of silver mica, polyester, mylar, tantalum and electrolytics hanging out with a TL082ACP opamp.

This was a prototype though so the guts are quite messy and I was forced to use a 16mm pot in one spot although I had planned for 3x24mm so it looks a little messed up, but in the spirit of disclosure here you go..

Sound wise it's a great design. I'm loath to use the oft quoted cliché's that proliferate the pedal world, but words like 'Transparent' and phrases including "Tube Like" are apt. Whilst the drive control does pretty much go from nothing to 'woah daddy' with naught between, this is not a high gain metal pedal by any stretch. What you get is a loud, in your face, crunchy version of what you put in. Don't expect to hide sloppy playing behind walls of noise with this, because every little nuance comes though riding a truckload of attitude. I have built and use BMP's, BSIAB's, TubeScreamers and a small pile of fuzz pedals as well as a Boss Metal Zone and Turbo OD and none of them do what this does.

This one's a keeper.

Here's a quick demo (and just for SYO I've got brand new strings on now)

Sadly my video camera has normalised and compressed the audio so when I flick the switch from "L" to "H" you hear almost no change. In the real world this produces a sizable volume boost and the tone seems to open up even further. You'll just have to take my word on that though I'm afraid.

Oh and if you watch the clip in YouTube rather than the embedded version, please give me a thumbs up if you feel I deserve it. Every time you watch a clip and dont rate it, god kills a kitten.