Historical perspective: I have owned (and still own) two tube amphs. My first, my Peavey Classic 30, is warm, articulate and nice. My second is a vintage Fender Concert 4x10. It is also somewhat warm and nice, but is more "Fendery" in the highs and is voiced with less mid range.

After I got my Concert, my C-30 lived at work for a while, and got less use for a bit. But since I joined my new jam project, the C-30 has been my workhorse for that, as the Concert would be overkill.

Finally getting to the point: Since I have been using my Peavey more, I was reminded of my initial impression of the two amphs. The sounds above, and also that the Fender was less "forgiving". The Peavey picks up stray string noises and such as well, but the Fender demands cleaner technique from me or else I am punished it seems.

Do you find this to be true with different tube amphs? If so, can someone explain why?

I love both for different reasons. Each has its own characteristics. The 4x10 is more complex sounding, the Peavey 1x12 more direct, and easier to dial in at lower volume, and has that warmth. Fun to be able to play with each!