Thread: Your All Time Favorite TV Series?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm watching episode 7 and have really enjoyed the story telling. You get an insider's view which allows you to appreciate the cultural nuances New Orleans has. Thanks for exposing us to this series, R_of_G.

//After Katrina, we were swamped with N.O. refugees. Many were good people, full of thanks, but a few gained the nickname, "Katricians", due to their destructive path. Trashing the apartments and hotels rooms that were provided for free, buying dope with aid money, murders, and all the fine activities that unfortunately give the rest of the people a bad name. It is nice to see an insider's view to understand the bigger picture.

Next week the Mississippi River will crest near N.O., and no one knows if the levies will hold this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I'm watching episode 7 and have really enjoyed the story telling. You get an insider's view which allows you to appreciate the cultural nuances New Orleans has.
    After five seasons of The Wire I realized that the "star" of the show wasn't any of the actors, as spectacular as they were. The star was the city of Baltimore.

It seems Mr. Simon and crew are doing the same with New Orleans. If you create authentic characters and have them act in realistc ways, the culture of the setting has to influence that. That's why more than any other show, these characters feel like real people to me.

Too many other shows use their settings as nothing more than background for establishing shots but don't really portray the city/region that is home to the world of the show.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer