feel a bit conflicted about posting this. I am not one to make a public scene of personal stuff. But I am sad about this, and feel some good can come from sharing it. You guys have been friends since 2006, so I am just going to post this.

On the night we got home from vacation 3 weeks ago, I got an email that something might be wrong with my Dad and he was going in for tests. Friday of that next week, the day I performed at my gig I posted about, I learned it looked serious. He was diagnosed with cancer in his spine, but they didn't know how bad, etc. Turns out it is a form of sarcoma that is affecting some bones in his spine. They cannot pinpoint a source yet, or know exactly what form. Still waiting on biopsy results that were taken a couple weeks ago. They knew enough to start nuking him though.

Now he has just finished 10 days of radiation, and it has been rough. He turns 80 next month, and has been week and vulnerable to normal illness, etc. the last few years. The radiation has not been easy on him, and the morphine they have him on is really messing with him. He is a retired judge and a navy captain, and not one to just enjoy the ride on a drug. Rough on him mentally. Plus the other side effects.

I had thought we were waiting until next month to go see him, after letting him recover a bit from this. They are calling it a hard fight, not sending him home to pack it in. But the road has been harder than we thought, and I am heading over this weekend.

I am getting it together to go visit and just be there for him and Mom, and do what I can. He plays sax, and loves music, as I have posted. So I am bringing a guitar hoping he will enjoy a few chords, and that it will help keep me calmed down too.