Quote Originally Posted by 6STRINGS 9LIVES
Anybody take the leap and purchase New Old Stock tubes , you know old tubes that have never been used . I have a friend who bought out the complete tube inventory of a tv repair shop about 20 years ago , he has a treasure trove of Tubes ... and gives me great deals , I use NOS RCA blackplates in my old fenders power section and either RCA , MULLARD , or JAN PHILIPS in the pre section . there is a definitive difference .
There are tons of sources for NOS tubes on line and lots of help in chosing the right tube for the sound you want , yeah they are pricey but i think that they make such a difference in tone that its worth the price ..
I've found that some of the soviet military tubes are excellent as well and have very long life and are cheaper , just wondering what everyone else thinks...
I used to go the NOS route.. ended up realizing I could afford a vintage amp on the savings by using new tubes.

To be honest, I have mulled over the issue and had many a day of swapping a set for another and listening..

As one can easily purchase 2 NOS tubes for 150 bucks and then blow them out a few days later.. I suppose it is like anything.. if you have the money it's a fine hobby.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=676362