Quote Originally Posted by Monkus View Post
From my googling, this seems to be ideal replacement for the EVM12L. It also seems that this speaker will not color the sound of an amp and has a 'better' sound than the EVM12 L which the speaker enclosure was designed for. Locally, I got one new for about $50 so what the heck, I'll try it. I need to figure out how to "break" in a speaker with a 9 volt battery.
I wouldn't use a 9v battery, it is DC and could possibly overhead the voice coil. You need and AC source like a wall wart, a filament transformer or Variac.

The formula for figuring out the amount of wattage a particular voltage level will generate is V(squared)/R or ac voltage squared divided by the speaker's resistance. If you want to get technical, you should measure the DC resistance of the coil, which should be around 6.3 ohms for a speaker with an 8 ohm nominal impedance rating according to the Delta specs .pdf.

So for 25VAC, you get 25*25/6.3=99.2 watts. You may want to try lower AC voltage, even though the Delta is rated for 400 watts. The more wattage you put into the speaker, the louder it will be and that 60HZ tone will drive you nuts.

Looking at the specs for both the Delta 12A and the EVM 12L, the Thiele specs are close but not identical. I bet the Delta sounds fine. I'll be very interested as my Thiele cabs are loaded with Celestions, but I'd like to hear them with Delta speakers.

HTH.