Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Gear Advice - Page 2

View Poll Results: How should the Rev. Rawk spend his newfound cash?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hardwire DL-8 Delay Pedal

3 23.08%
  • EMG Bass Pickups (probably 35P4 and 35DC)

3 23.08%
  • ASUS VH236H Monitor

4 30.77%
  • Other (Please Specify)

3 23.08%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear Advice

Post Thanks / Like

The Hardwire Delay. I go by the absurdly simple rule that if you mention it first, you want it the most.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm..that's a tough one. My initial feeling is, if you're still on CRT you have to get a new monitor ASAP...but I doubt there's anything out there that's good below $200. Maybe a 24" BenQ...like http://shop.benq.us/ProductDetail.aspx?id=50 is near.

I would _not_ recommend getting anything smaller than 24" in widescreen format, though. The 'FullHD' format has too few pixels anyway; good width but 1080 is not very much space vertically after all. I have a 27" FullHD which is nice but the old 21" that has 1200dpi vertical is much better for many a use.

My buddy actually has a 42" LCD for his computer monitor, but that's a bit too much already IMO. But, you might find a used 32" TV for ~200, if you settle for a TV as a monitor...they can have quite a nice picture too after all, compared to CRT that is.

One option would be to find two similar 19" used TFT's and use them side by side, could probably get used ones easily under $100 apiece. Seems to me it's nigh impossible to even dump 4:3 monitors these days. I've given away two 19" TFT's since nobody would pay even a 20 for one. Those would give u plenty of desktop space for very little $$. I'm longing for a 3rd monitor...but I need a secondary adapter for that. It'd be way nice to have a separate monitor to keep FX racks on for instance, or channel settings etc...and my secondary is now too far @ reserved for vox recording basically. I've been thinking maybe a small, like a 19" widescreen, but set up sideways next to my main monitor for easy laying of windows in a tall pile.

Of course music gear is nice too...but...you should treat your eyes as well sometime!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OH! NOW I saw the poll...yeah, that Asus screen looks great! 23, 24, whatever. I'd get that, no q about it. When I bought my 27" I had already settled on an Asus one but it was out of stock for several weeks, so I settled on a Samsung.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I must say I do like that Surveyor, even though it is over your target limit - but you mentioned it. That looks like a very nice deal and I personally like the looks of the bass. These active EMG pickups are already professionally installed at the manufacturer and optimized for the rest of the electronic circuit. I would guess that would be a very cool sounding bass.

Maybe you would find it interesting to outfit one bass with flatwounds for a mellow, smooth, sound.

That Surveyor could very well be a lot of bang for the buck.

The looper idea also sounds like a great addition to your rig.

Those would be my two choices that I think would bring the most value and usefulness. Your idea of getting some active EMG's might be the strongest motivator, one way or another.

Modifying your existing bass with EMG's may wind up costing more in time and money than the option of obtaining the Surveyor.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That Surveyor does look grand for the dough. Even if it turned out lacking in some department, it would certainly provide those electrics for cheap.
    Dee

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitartango View Post
    Hi Robert

Sorry to steal this thread but how does the M5 sound through a tube amp and how does it work with other pedals? My current line up is as follows
    guitar>Vox Wah>Boss CE3>Fuzz Pedal>BOSS OD3>BOSS BD-2 >Boss CE-3 TC Nova Repeater>EHX Reverb>Amp. Where would the M5 fit in as i am looking just for a phaser/flanger then again i like all the extras !.
    It would fit in anywhere you like. It sounds great through a tube amp. I usually just use my M9 for gigging because it so compact and sounds so good. The phaser sounds in it are good but perhaps not as good as the best boutique phasers. The Flange sounds sounds stellar to me.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    Hope that helps
    It did, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    That Surveyor does look grand for the dough. Even if it turned out lacking in some department, it would certainly provide those electrics for cheap.
    I know it. The pickups and the preamp alone would hit $300. Those things were selling for ~$700. New models are out, so I assume these are being blown out. To add insult to injury, I saw some close-up pics on evilBay. The neck has a satin finish, just like I like it. It's got big ol' frets on it with a Jazz-sized nut. The headstock even looks Peavey-like. They are made in Korea.

Here's the eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-LTD-Surveyor...-/250714079686
    So, what's the thought on the "natural" one viz a viz the blue one (linked above) with the quilted maple top? I thought the natural one looked a bit cutting-board-ish, but it's growing on me. If they had a red one like the blue one, that'd be the obvious choice for me.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tough call. The blue looks neater, would have better resale value...the plain one looks a bit---well plain...it's too blonde to look classy. I fear it will look cheap later on. But it would lend itself well for refinishes then, and you can clearly see the wood is good or bad.

I would likely take the natural, and rip off the finish and refinish with a nice darker stain. Maybe.
    Dee

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the blue and the maple fretboard really goes well with it.

Another nice thing about this is that, according to some people I have talked to, it is hard to find a bass with "active" pickups; and that most of the basses have passive humbuckers and active pre-amps. I guess this saves money during productiion. So real "active" EMG's sounds like a great idea and at this price it sounds like an incredible deal.

My new Ibanez SR500 has passive Bartolini soapbars with an active Bartolini three band pre-amp. Same thing with my five string Schecter Stiletto Elite that has passive EMG 40 HZ's and an active pre-amp.

I would like to get a bass with active pickups. Some people like passive pickups with active pre-amps because this arrangement supposedly can sound smoother.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I would like to get a bass with active pickups. Some people like passive pickups with active pre-amps because this arrangement supposedly can sound smoother.
    I like passive basses, but I also like the EMG thing. I also found out that when you "coil cut" the EMG MMTW what is left is their normal J pickup, so I could have that cool MM sound or a standard P/J sound. Pretty flexible. The EMG B30 system is apparently not made anymore (or it is OEM only). It's got a volume, blend, mid boost/cut, and stacked bass and treble boost/cut.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Just so you know, the proper answer was "Other." Details to follow. Let's just say that I may have a bass for sale soon . . .

Edit: OK, here are the details.

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out that there was a SECOND right answer to this question! I just came across some more cash (gratuity for a funeral, actually) and ordered the Asus VH238H which is the same as the VH236H except that it uses an LED backlight instead of a fluorescent one. There's even a rebate, instant savings, and a $10 off promo on it right now. The LED should be brighter, have better contrast, and use about 1/2 the power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236117

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats!!!
    Dee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12